1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GM5 discontinued !!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ricoh, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I was informed by a Panasonic rep yesterday that the GM5 has been discontinued. The reason given was the profit margin was too small.

Alternative reasons that I can think of are either the sales figures were not too good (although as a GM5 owner I think it's a cracking camera - my favourite micro four thirds) or reliability issues.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As a GM5 user I'm not really surprised. The GF7 makes sense but the GM5 is pitched as a high end high price camera with too many limitations (tiny EVF, limited usability due to size and ergonomics, poor flash sync and mechanical shutter speed). I can't see that many people using it as a primary camera over say the LX100 or E-M10, which are about the same price with way fewer limitations.

I had a GM1 which got replaced under warranty for a GM5 (the GM1 was discontinued at that point) but wouldn't have paid full price for either - I ended up with the GM1 because it was bundled at clearance with the PL15 for less than the RRP of the PL15. It's a great backup for my E-M1 (or for some nice SOOC video) and for casual use by my wife, but personally I greatly prefer using the E-M1.

3. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Hey, both are my favorites for traveling. If it becomes true that there will Not be a successor I am really sad

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    It'll be shame if it is discontinued. I think I can live without the EVF (since it's quite small anyway), but the lack of a dial on the GF7/GM1 is a limiting UI factor for me.

I never really trust 100% what reps have to say anyway... I suspect it will eventually be replaced with something else.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    GM5 seems like the best mu43 fit for me once I replace ep-3 for an everyday shooter and Fuji for work. I hope pana continues the GM line.

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    It would be a great shame if the end has come, it's a brilliant camera. I just hope the panasonic rep was misinformed, but somehow I guess not given the availability of the GM5 in stores and on line.
    A replacement of similar size possibly? Let's hope so, but generally there's an overlap of models in terms of availability.

7. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    It's a shame! I saw that it was discontinued at B&H and was thinking a new model is coming next year... Initial sale prices were too high for gm1/5 to get traction but most of Panasonic products are pricey and the prices goes down by time. Other issue might be that it is too small for 4K-8K video to get the heat out of the camera. We will see if the new Pens will match the size, but I doubt it due to IBIS/4K video etc as we saw the size increase from gx7->gx8...

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You'll still be able to buy them for a long time. Not too worried.

9. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Not at B&H/Unique Photo. You can find it in stock in other stores until they ran out of inventory...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  10. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
  11. SanPedro

SanPedro New to Mu-43

Sep 23, 2013
    I heard the same thing from staff at Leeds Jessops (UK) on Saturday. I thought they were talking BS as the camera is hardly old. Seems I was wrong. Anyhoo, I'm glad I bought one before they disappear as I think it will be just perfect for my partner who was after a discrete ILC for holidays and family events.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
  13. amphibulous

amphibulous Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2015
    I just bought a GM1 and there's a lot right with it, but if hadn't been offered a big discount off the list price I'd have bought a PEN. (I paid 235 pounds for a new GM1 and 12-32 on UK ebay with 1 year seller warranty from a major seller.) The biggest problem is the ergos aren't worked out. Panasonic either should have been willing to make it a little longer and borrow heavily from the Ricoh GR, or to have been much radical than they were. Or both.

...It also needed a wireless trigger for flash.

14. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    For me: many topics were solved on the GM5...
    LUMIX GM5 - ab big step ahead....

And you can wireless trigger an oo camera flash putting the off camera into slave mode....

15. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    funny, i thought it's discontinued due to GM7 coming soon. Was actually thinking about buying one (in some cute color) for Ms Ramsey, as the prices with kit lenses (15mm and 12-32) were becoming mighty tempting.

16. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Love my Gm5! The rear control wheel, slightly bigger body and EVF make it much better than GM1. For me.

In fact in having trouble justifying any interest in any other m43 cameras, having such good quality in such a small package is just awesome.
    (Like my previous m43 cameras, this has the 20mm attached 90% of the time)

• Agree Agree x 1