GM5 Clock reset during battery change

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SCLui, Sep 3, 2016.

1. SCLui

SCLui Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 8, 2016
    Steve
    I noticed that my GM5's clock is reset whenever I swap battery, even if I swapped within seconds. Shouldn't there be a capacitor to avoid loosing time setting?

It does this if the camera has not been on for some time (e.g. 2 weeks or so), but then it disappear when the GM5 is being used more frequently.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There's probably a backup power source that doesn't get enough charge unless you use the camera enough...

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    I run two GM5s and the battery change doesn't affect the clock settings. Perhaps the back up power device isn't holding its charge? Might be worth contacting the dealer for advice.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    This. Hopefully your camera is still under warranty.

5. SCLui

SCLui Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 8, 2016
    Steve
    Thanks, just thought it was a bit odd, it is under warranty and will send it in to have a look.

6. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Yes, I think you should have it checked, especially if it is under warranty. I left my GM5 sitting in a drawer WITHOUT a battery in it for about 3 months and then I charged up a battery and put it in. I figured I'd have to set the date and time, but no, it still had it correct! So yours definetely sounds faulty.

7. SCLui

SCLui Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 8, 2016
    Steve
    Rich,

Appreciate the confirm, it is on its way to Pana service. I had to email them to confirm instructions for shipping. Tried to log a repair request on their site, the model number came back as invalid, I have tried all possible combinations to no avail. I think the capacitor is simply defective as the rest of the non-volatile settings remain intact.

Steve

8. SCLui

SCLui Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 8, 2016
    Steve
    Just an update, looks like the button cell died:

Shipped from CA 09.06.2016
    Received in TX 09.12.2016
    Shipped back from TX 09.26.2016
    Received in CA 09.30.2016

Notes from Panacare:
    The technician replaced button battery- no visible corrosion- set clock settings and removed battery- clock setting did not reset- fixed issue- able to take pictures- eye sensor and touch screen is working- functions work properly.

The clock remains correct when I unpacked the GM5, all good.

• Like Like x 2