GM5 Back button focus - anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ricoh, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I love the GM5, but assigning back button focus to Fn1 (or Fn2) results in rather fiddly operation - too often I end up pressing the review button and end up chimping! How nice it would have been if Panasonic had positioned one of the function buttons on its own and not in a cluster. I can't see any other way of doing it so I think I'm stuck with shutter 1/2 press for focusing, or using the touch screen.
    How do other GM5 users have their cameras set?

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    are you using the viewfinder or LCD to view?

I don't use back button focus much, but I discovered this alternative to back button focus if you are using the LCD to compose.

Set dial to manual focus. Drag the focus box to where you want it to focus. Press the [AF] box in the corner for when you want to 'back button' focus.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I use both as and when the situation dictates, eg ability to see the LCD, but I suppose LCD 80%.
    The obstacle I'm trying to overcome is focus delay, it's finite but still an impediment for quick fire action. I've tried manual zone focusing (15mm f1.7) but it's all too easy to move the focus ring, knocking it out.
    I've set back button focus on my GX7 and would like a similar setup on the GM5, but alas I don't think its possible in a practical sense. I could be wrong, hence the original post.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thread resurrect...

I've just got a GM5 and want to use back button focussing. Setting aside the issues with Fn1/Fn2 accessibility, can anyone who has done this explain the settings you've used? I've got it set such that Fn2 is "AF-ON" which works fine, but the only way I can stop AF on half-shutter press is to set the camera to MF mode. It'll still AF using the Fn2 button in MF mode, but I lose Point AF and the fancy magnification feature.

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I think figured it out one day, but I don't use back button focus much. I'll try have a look for you when I get a chance...

6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    For AFS, set Fn1(or 2) to AFL\AEL and AF\AE Lock to AF Lock.
    as supposed
    MF assist enabled and set to ring or button or both?
    AF+MF = ON?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Welcome to the club, Paul. What lens did you go for, the 15/f1.7 possibly. It's made for the GM5 in my opinion with aperture control on the lens barrel.

Regarding back button focus, I have my GM5 set up as described by haswing's helpful suggestion (post #2).