GM5 and image stabilisation

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
I noticed today that the stabilisation icon (little hand) doesn't appear on my GM5 - it is not on the LCD panel nor in the viewfinder.
I must say I don't know if it was there before. It is only since I have my GX80/85, that I have noticed such an icon should appear, and that I have noticed it is not there on the GM5.
The lens is stabilised, and if I put the same lens on the GX85, I have the icon with the "dual" written, indicating dual IS in body and in lens. From this I would think the lens is OK.

Back to the GM5. When I turn off IS in the menu, I then get the red icon saying stabilisation is off. So this is fine.
But when IS is set to Normal or to Panning, then no icon appears.
I have both the 12-32 and 35-100, and it is the same with both. Obviously it is not a problem with a lens. It is strange as there is no in body IS with the GM5, and if the lens IS is working, then all should be fine.

Is this normal? Do others get the same? Or does it mean something is going wrong?
The firmware is updated on both body and lens. I tried to reload the firmware, but it won't accept it as it is already the latest.

Thanks for any insight on this...

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Follow-up...
I did a few tests using the GM5 with 35-100mm, shots at 1/5, 1/10 and 1/20s, 35mm, with IS turned off and turned on in the menu.
Definitely, the IS works fine. When on, all shots are perfectly sharp, even the 1/5s ones.
When IS is turned off in the menu, the 1/20 shots show a bit of shaking and the 1/5 and 1/10s shots are quite blurred.

Then it is just the IS icon that doesn't show on the back panel, nor on the EVF.
Any other owner of GM5 has this problem?
Thanks

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
There isn't any image stabilization in the GM5. So, no icon because the lens is always doing its thing, but the body isn't capable of dual IS or IBIS.
I know, but:
The lens IS is controlled by the body - I can turn it on or off.
The manual says the stabilisation icon should appear on the panel (and EVF) when the lens IS is activated.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I believe there is a display mode that shows more icons on screen, you might have to cycle through display modes to find it. My memory is spotty on this aspect of the GM5 so I don't remember which button does this, but Panasonic cameras have cycled through display modes forever, I usually picked the one with less info appearing on screen but the one with more is available if you want it. Not sure why you want to see the icon on screen since it seems you know IS is working, but that's where you should find it.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Not sure why you want to see the icon on screen since it seems you know IS is working, but that's where you should find it.
I agree it is not a big issue, as long as the IS effectively works.
Simply I would like to know if this is general or if my camera only...
I did a reset of menus to bring to factory settings but to no avail.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
And you are certain you're testing it under conditions when IS would kick in, i.e. low ISO and low light?
Yes because there was a huge difference when I set the lens IS at ON or OFF in the menu system. Hence obviously the lens IS did kick in.
I did the test by setting the speed to 1/5s, 1/10, 1/20, and let the camera decide for ISO and aperture.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
I must admit I'm confused as to what's bothering you given your confirmation that it's working properly.
As I said earlier:
"I agree it is not a big issue, as long as the IS effectively works.
Simply I would like to know if this is general or if my camera only..."

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
I just checked my GM5 and it is the same, no icon when O.I.S. is on but a red icon when it is off.
Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know!
I guess then that this is probably a minor bug in the firmware. Fortunately it doesn't have any incidence on the image.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know!
I guess then that this is probably a minor bug in the firmware. Fortunately it doesn't have any incidence on the image.
I wouldn't call it a bug, you know if your lens is stabilized so the only time you need a reminder is when you have turned the stabilization off.
And that will be a conscious decision on your part.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
I wouldn't call it a bug, you know if your lens is stabilized so the only time you need a reminder is when you have turned the stabilization off.
And that will be a conscious decision on your part.
It is a bug in the sense that the manual says the icon should be on when the IS is active.
In other bodies (e.g. my GX85), the icon definitely shows.
But we can easily live with it as long as we know about it.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
And this is the GM5 manual you're referring to?
Sorry I was wrong!
It is the GX85 manual that says it, and I had assumed it should be same for GM5, but rechecking in the GM5 manual, there is only the OFF icon on the display!
I guess I have been using the GX85 too much lately.
Sorry for all this ranting...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom