1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GM2 RW2 files

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Hugo, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Hugo

Hugo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    I have my PhotoShop CS2 running on Windows7. When I tried to do my first HRD, an error keeps on showing. The CS2 does come with camera raw plugin version 4.3. Do I really need CS4 or higher to open RW2 files?

Thx!

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Adobe is notorious for lack of backwards compatibilty - there is a work around - use adobe's free DNG converter and then open the dng's in ACR.

Adobe updates this along with ACR so it is currently at 6.6.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    To use the GH2 directly in Photoshop, you need Camera Raw 6.3 or newer, which only works with CS5.

You can however use the Adobe DNG converter to convert the file to a DNG, at which point it should open with CS4 and possibly CS3. CS2 is out of luck though - it predates the DNG 2.1 spec.

DH

4. Hugo

Hugo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    Thx! Will try it tonight. By the way, just wondering why Panasonic has to come up with a different format....

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Every manufacturer does this, not just Panasonic. There is no industry standard for raw files.

6. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    I must be lucky- I use the Adobe converter (for RAW files from GH1 and GF1) and the DNGs open in CS2!

7. Hugo

Hugo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    I downloaded Adobe DNG Converter and converted two RW2 files to DNG. When I open they in CS2, I still see the error message "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document". I double checked my camera raw plugin and noticed that it is version 3.0. Does it matter? If not, what did I do wrong??

Thanks!

8. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    I've just checked: my ACR is version 3.7. My DNG converter is 5.7.0.213.

Good luck!