1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GM1S - Wait for it?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by speltrong, Oct 25, 2014.

1. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    About ready to pull the trigger on a GM1. After a lot of fretting and research, I decided that it'll better suit my needs than a GM5 or a LX100. I was all ready to pick one up when I saw recent news that a GM1S update is going to be released in Japan next month. In addition to better AF and IQ (?), it comes in a really nice blue, which I like more than any of the color combos available now. Seems like you can get a GM1 kit on Amazon for ~$600, and the blue will probably be at least $750 + extra due to it being an import. Anyone think the AF + IQ improvements will be better enough to warrant waiting and the extra cash?

Just for fun, I mocked up what both the white and the blue would look like with my current black 15mm... they both work IMO, and should look good with a black Gariz half case.
    YtYwIzk.
    9j0Yqft.

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Looking at the specs\....couldthere be a firmware update for the GM1?

3. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I was thinking the same thing - the AF/IQ could very well be tweaked with a firmware update. The mobile connectivity might be able to be added if the camera has the right antennas built in. The big question is whether they will do that, or try to keep it as an S-only thing to drive sales and not make the decision between the GM1 & GM5 more difficult. Wish I knew more details...

4. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I could also do the black/silver with the brown Gariz - then it'll match my GX7. Choices, choices...
    vaOvibA.

5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Decided to get the black/silver and the brown Gariz - hopefully any changes in AF & IQ will be addressed in a FW update.

6. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Wish the flash on my GM1 body sat down flush like in the photos! :( Mine sits up at the outer edge (LHS) and doesn't look nice...