1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GM1 with pinhole Oly 15mm/8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by orfeo, Nov 2, 2013.

1. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I Wonder if anyone thinks like me that this is the perfect point and shoot?

• Like Like x 2
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I was hoping to see a picture of this setup - it would be super small!

I like your idea. How about a 14mm on that GM1? A bit more flexibility maybe and bearly as small too.

3. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    • Like Like x 1
  4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Thanks for the link! I will consider this combo as an aside, I first need to get the PL42.5mm and the upcoming PL15mm and the Oly 75mm, then the small P&S will be mine ^^ in some time though...

• Like Like x 1
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Wish the quality on the 15/8 were a little higher. I loved the small size on my GF3 but sold it because I just didn't see the point over an iPhone....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    this is pretty much what i want the camera for

8. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I liked using the 15mm Bcl on my GF3, I got good pictures out of it. This lens looks slightly taller than the camera itself. I would like one, but I'll wait till the price comes down or someone sells their GM1 body cheaply.

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    IMHO, the GM1 with the 14mm f2.5 would be quite a bit better, and only slightly bigger.

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Perfect point and shoot? No way! You'd have a single FL, an optically weak lens and f8 as your fastest aperture. If I wanted a small point and shoot, I'd take my Canon S100 or any one of the dozens of similar small, fast and relatively cheap compacts the market is saturated with right now!

11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I'd rather an actual a high quality point and shoot than the gm1 + 15mm body cap. Whats the point of having a camera with a great sensor, when your putting a very average lens on camera?

• Like Like x 1
  12. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yup, I don't understand the obsession with the body lens cap. With the $120-$160 that you can get the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 or Olympus 17mm f/2.8, if you are someone that wants a bodycap lens, even these two optically disappointing pieces of glass are much better choices, and at least make half-respectable photos. It's one of the reasons that I still have the Olympus 17mm around, although I don't really find myself packing away the camera body without lenses lately.

And as mentioned, there are so many great pocket cameras out lately, I'd rather have the sub-$200 Canon S100, Fuji XF1, Pentax MX-1, etc than the Panasonic GM1 with bodycap lens.

• Like Like x 1
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think I'd use the body cap lens even if I got it for free - I'd rather leave a small prime mounted.

I'm pretty sure a top end smart phone camera these days can do just as well, until the ISO goes up. And given this one is stuck at f/8, the ISO needs to go up pretty quickly as well. Given that I'm carrying a smart phone anyway...

It's not weather sealed either - a weather and shock resistant compact actually has more utility for me...

14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    The 14mm would be just about perfect match for the GM1, I'll settle for the ol' 20mm, wouldn't hurt either...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm with Lowrider.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Given it's size and price and field of view, I don't find anything disappointing at all about the 14mm lens. It's significantly better than the Olympus 17mm f2.8

17. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I would use the body cap, I love texture and for sharpness I have my GX7 and lenses thanks...
    I agree that 14mm would be better though, but better in what sense? Gimme body cap and GM1 and I'll be pleased...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    i wouldn't call it an obsession, but the little piece of plastic is $50 and i've done some decent work with it. i just throw it on the epm1 when i go out and do the mail.

8966547860_c083494683_c.
    P6033826 by Qmüngous, on Flickr

9559953462_2279152132_c.
    P8134145 by Qmüngous, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  19. fspeur

fspeur Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    Edmonton AB, Canada
    Frans
    Occasionally it can be a useful little lens for people like me who don't have a camera in their old phone and want something really small, but mostly I prefer using my Olympus 17mm f2.8, which is really an excellent lens, or the new Panasonic 14-42mm which is small and light too, but can make your pocket bulge, which may invite questions that have nothing to do with photography at all.

20. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Better in the sense that it has AF, it's 3 and 1/3 stops faster and generally delivers an overall superior image quality... ;)

• Like Like x 1