1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GM1 w/Oly 45 question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Replytoken, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I know there are not a lot of GM1 owners out there, but I have a question about mounting an Oly 45 on this body. Several reviews have mentioned that a number of lenses are wide enough at the mount that they can extend below the bottom of the GM1 body. I know that the Oly 17 exhibits this, because a photo of it was shown in one review. But, I wanted to know if the 45 also had this problem. It seems that if the lenses do extend below the bottom of the body, then it is difficult, if not impossible, to mount the GM1 on a tripod. Can anybody tell me if this problem happens with the 45?

Thanks,

--Ken

2. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Hi Ken,

Got my GM1 in early Dec, and it's a fabulous little camera. Nice complement to my EM5.

I put the 17mm 1.8 on it and I don't recall it extending beyond the camera- if it does, it's not by much. The 20 does so, but since it's shorter I like the way it fits better. In fact, I think this may be my preferred prime lens for this camera- I actually owned the 20 before and sold it before buying it again specifically for the GM1. Ditto for the 45- will let you know how it fits, but I suspect like the 17, it'll also be a good fit for the camera. Would make an extremely functional and portable prime kit.

Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Follow-up on the 45- which was waiting for me at home thanks to UPS ; ) It's only slightly larger than the mount (by maybe a millimeter) but it's so negligible as to not really be noticeable. Like the 17 it's a good fit for the camera, but again my preference is to keep the 20 on there when I'm not using the 12-32. Still, nice to have some small primes in one's pockets with such a tiny camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Rafael,

Thank you for trying out your new 45 on the GM1. It is a great lens, and I am sure that you will enjoy the images that you shoot with it. My concern was not being able to use the camera on a tripod if I had one available. Here is a photo that demonstrates the issue, and talks a bit about the problem: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GM1/ . I have some small plates, but I am not sure that they are small enough to have the ballhead clamp clear the lens.

--Ken

5. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I just used my 45mm and 17mm f/1.8 this weekend with the GM1...great results and fits it really well.

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    The photo that I referenced above shows the 17's mount hanging a bit below the base of the GM1. This is my concern about the 45. Have you tried to put a plate on your GM1, and did you try to mount it on a ballhead?

--Ken