1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GM1 to grip or not to grip

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by microfourthirdsnut, Mar 22, 2014.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    So really like my GM1 ( silver ) but was wondering does the Panasonic grip help with handling? I am not worried about changing the battery or card so thats not a issue. The GM1 is mostly my carry every where camera and right now my only camera till I funds allow for a EM1.

Gm1 12-32mm
    12-40mm

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If I wanted a little more grip, I'd get the Richard Frainec grip. More surface area, no interference, looks more comfortable. I've only handled the GM1 bare in stores, but it felt as comfortable as my grip less RX100.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    It definitely needs a grip, in my opinion. I haven't put one on yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll just go with the Richard Frainec grip, which I've experienced as making a huge difference on the RX100. Partly because of cost, partly because it leaves the battery/SD door available. This new grip looks perfect also, but there's no way I'm payin $100 for it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOSON-ZA-1-..._Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3f32740980

4. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Initially I used my RF grip from RX100 on gm1. After using gm1 w/ Oly 1.8 primes at Chinese new year celebrations, I felt that it needed a bigger grip. So I tried Sony rx1 and Canon m fotodiox grips. RX1 fits better, longer but fits at the base to the camera shape. However it is kind of big. If I shoot long, I can still use it but at the end I went w/ original Pana grip. So far it is ok, though you have to take it out for battery/sd card changes. I saw the ebay one last week as it is a new one. There is also a JB wood grip selling at Amazon but after trying canon m, I felt like the grip at the base needs to match the body shape and decided that the wood one is too big to hold it comfortably:
    http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Panas...=UTF8&qid=1395750941&sr=8-1&keywords=gm1+grip
    I think the grip helps esp if you are using the camera w/ lenses other then the kit lens and Panasonic pancakes. I am using lately w/ Oly 25mm 1.8 as it fits in my pocket perfectly...

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I second this. I have the Freniac grip with my GM1, and find it really helps me hold the camera when I'm not actively shooting with it. And even though it's a lot of money for a tiny piece of (carefully machined) metal, it's a lot less money than the goofy looking tiny piece of metal sold by Panasonic.

6. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Ordered the wood grip via Amazon......hope more choice arise in the future.

7. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    I've used both the Richard Franiec and Panasonic grips on my GM1. They are both excellent but quite different from each other, in that I feel most people will probably have a strong preference for one or the other if given the chance to try both. I think it depends on how you like to apply pressure to hold the camera. If you apply some "pinching" pressure between your thumb on the back and your middle finger on the front, or most often use a two-hand grip, you will probably find the Franiec grip to work great and be exceptionally comfortable. If you often hold the camera with one hand and don't use your thumb much for grip, instead preferring to use your middle finger to pull the camera into your palm and the base of your thumb, then the more vertical surface of the Panasonic grip may provide more useful leverage. I fall into the latter camp, frequently using my GM1 single-handed with the Olympus 17mm f/1.8, and the Panasonic grip is the one I'm keeping. I don't think it's "better" than the Franiec grip, just different strokes for different folks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Well, my Franiec grip is on the way. I agree with mrerics assesment, and I'm sure I would prefer the Panasonic grip in use, but it's too expensive for what it is, and I really don't like the lack of access to battery/card.

9. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    My Franiec grip arrived today and I feel it really improves the handling of the GM1, especially with 'larger' lenses, such as the Oly 45.

P4021660_zpsad8809d6.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Looks like the Franiec grip will vastly improve the handling, I was able to try the GM1 yesterday, it was really small hehe.

11. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    guys, has anyone tried this as alternative to the franiec grip?

this is sony's ag-r2 add-on grip for the rx100 II and III and it seems it can fit the gm1 (and probably the gm5 too) with a slight adjustment like the one shown below:

20141005_081935_009_Lr.

more images here: http://ttr250raid.blogspot.com/2014/10/blog-post.html

also saw this being used in this video:

12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I've put the Flipbac G2 on my GM5. I wouldn't call it a revelation, but it definitely improves the feel. Much more secure in my hand - I don't really like wrist straps on such a small camera.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. pterosonus

pterosonus Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 17, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Terry
  14. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
  15. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, I use it on gm5.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  17. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    would you mind posting some photos of it on the gm5? thanks!

18. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    +1

Also wondering if larger lenses will get in the way or be affected by the mounting screw?

19. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I just bought the Hosen grip. I'll take some pics and give my opinions once it arrives!

• Like Like x 1
  20. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Please keep us updated. Thanks!
    Bobby