GM1 to GM5??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by manju69, Jun 15, 2015.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi folks

I just picked up a sweet deal on the PL15 and GM1. Such a nice lens! Esp with the aperture ring. I love the small set up as a second body kit but miss an EVF. How is the EVF on the GM5? Is it usable and worth the upgrade? I like the look of the thumb wheel that changes setting on the back on the GM5 too. Any other reasons to upgrade that you have found? Thanks!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I too went for a sweet PL15/GM1 deal, they were basically giving away the body for free with the lens which I wanted. Turns out the sensor had some debris on it though (out of the box) and it ended up getting swapped for a GM5 as they were no longer stocking GM1s.

Things I find better on the GM5, as a second body to a full sized one (in order of importance):
    • Better dial (the GM1 one could be a bit infuriating at times)
    • More physical buttons
    • Thumb rest (actually usable without a grip, I had to get an R. Franiec grip for the GM1)
    • EVF (too small, can't judge focus except with focus peaking, so only useful when the LCD is a no go)
    • Better video codec (especially MP4 formats, plus zebras)
    • Ability to use hot shoe and external RC flash (still very limited use though given 1/50s flash sync speed, no HSS/FP support as far as I can work out, and tiny body).
    Downsides (in order of severity):
    • Loss of built-in pop-up flash that can be tilted for bounce (seriously, as a little social camera with a fast prime like the PL15, the ability to bounce that little thing and get a nicely lit shot at f/2.8 is way more useful than the silly external flash that comes with the GM5). I'd rather trade the EVF for built-in bounce flash.
    • Smaller 16:9 LCD , not a big loss for video but for stills it's a bigger difference.
    • Slightly bigger form factor, weight, etc.
    • Loss of a second Custom position on the mode dial.
    Do I like the GM5? Yes, swap the EVF for the pop-up flash and it would be exactly what I'm looking for as a second body. As it is though, I don't think it's worth paying a significant premium to upgrade from a GM1 to a GM5, unless you really can't stand the GM1's physical controls.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    For me the larger LCD and price were worth more than an EVF that I found unusable but admittedly a much better control wheel. Changing settings through the touchscreen is so intuitive on the GM1 that the control wheel wasn't a big issue for me. I'm left eyed- maybe right-eyed photographers would find the EVF better...

• Like Like x 1
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    The Evf on the gm5 is not great. I guess it's okay to use in bright light, but it's too small and tunnel like to use all the time. The dial on the back is good though

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks wjiang. I rarely use flash so that is no big loss for me. I can live with a slightly bigger form - the GM1 feels tiny! The EVF is the biggest factor really, it's the main way i compose - though can do without it if i have too. I see some good deals on GM5 plus 12-32, so selling the GM1 body and the 12-32 covers 3/4 of the cost - so it's not a huge amount to upgrade....

6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I used Sugru (https://sugru.com/) to create a thumb rest myself. Makes it 100x better. But it's still not enough I think and I'm about to order a Flipbac grip to make it even better (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913684-REG/flipbac_fbg2_flipbac_camera_grip_g2.html)

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sugru looks cool.

I tried a flipbac on my GM1. I got a Richard Franiec grip for my GM5 and happy I did. The curved edge makes it seem like it's closer to the edge of the body (didn't have them at the same time to measure for sure). The Franiec and thumb grip are nice and do make for a more secure hold.

I do miss the larger LCD and the flash, I'm considering getting the Oly FL-LM3 for it.

The main reason for the upgrade for me is the handling. Other than just the grip I prefer the dedicated dual function dial and individual arrow buttons. The dial functions closely enough like dual dials in PASM. And I have the buttons set to direct AF control so they act the same as my E-M10 and DSLRs. They're little things, but they make all my cameras handle just a little bit more alike.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I like the Panasonic grips (other than the unscrewing to get to card/battery).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just seems a bit ironic to hear of all of you adding additional grips and accessories to your tiny cameras to make them into medium sized cameras so you can hold them properly.

10. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    The things I like about the GM5 over the GM1:

The EVF, yes it's small and tunnel like, I'm a left eyed glasses wearer, but I seem to get along with it.

That little thumb raised at the back of the GM5 made all the different to me, I had the Hosun grip with the GM1. The GM5 is about 1mm thicker and longer to fit into that grip, but I dont need a grip now due to that little thumb thingy.

The control wheel and extra buttons.

I actually prefer the smaller screen, on the GM1 my thumb kept creeping onto the top right hand corner of the screen changing the focus point to that area, in the end I had to turn off the GM1 touch screen. On the GM5 it does not happen, I can use the camera as it was intended to be used.

When in face detect mode, the GM5 focuses on the nearest eye, like the Olympus cameras do, the GM1 does not.

In manual mode, at last Panasonic has given us auto ISO in manual mode, this is not available in the GM1 or any Panasonic cameras that are older.

Hot shoe, so I can have a small bubble level flash cover.

• Like Like x 4
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Actually the Franiec grip barely protrudes past the lens mount while I believe the Flipbac didn't even stick out even that far.

12. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    The grips don't really extend in front of the lens mount, and even those that screw into the tripod socket only add about 3mm to the height. They're still pretty small :)

I can carry a standard GM1 and IR converted GM1, a pancake lens and a telephoto in a bag that I can't squeeze a D700 body and bodycap into, and it weighs less...

13. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    That's helpful to hear someone finding the EVF useful! and the thumbwheel is bound to make it better... thanks

• Like Like x 1
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I wonder if it's the smaller screen or the thumb grip. I don't have the GM1 to compare anymore. But holding the GM5 I think my thumb is further out because of the grip. Far enough out that there is actually space between my thumb and the edge of the screen.

15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    A lot of people have dissed the Panasonic grip that fits both the GM1 and GM5 but i've tried several others and found that my most problematic lens, the P/L 42.5mm f1.2 works best with the original Panny grip. I know some will say it's crazy to put such a large lens on the tiny GM5 but this little grip from Panny makes it work! Yes I wish it allowed access to the battery and memory card but for handholding the little GM5 this Panny grip allows any µ43's lens to be mounted and fully functional on this small camera. If I could have a say in it's design, I would say cut out a space for access even if you have to make it a little deeper for structural reasons. This small modification would make the camera perfect!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Crazy mounting a 42.5? No crazy is what I do - mounting the 100-300 :)

I agree with the Panasonic grip the GM's are quite comfortable to use with any lens.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I like the Panasonic grip for the GM1. I got it for a pretty affordable price and it does make the camera seem sturdier too. The base of the camera always felt the least robust to me.

18. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Medium sized? REALLY? :biggrin:

The thumb rest added 2mm more width and the grip I'm about to get will not add anything but maybe 10g weight since it doesn't reach even the edge of the mount.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    Tempted to swap my gm1 for a gm5.... Mainly for the evf but I'm not convinced I will like it.... This size though is the ultimate street cam

20. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I upgraded my GM1 to a GM5 and am happy I did.
    The GM5 is much easier for me to operate. The main thing I needed was an EVF because my old eyes can't see the LCD in bright sunlight. I must warn you the EVF on the GM5 is small but it's large enough for me to compose and even manual focus occasionally. I have to remove my eyeglasses to get close enough to see all four corners but the built in diopter adjustment to the side of the finder makes the view razor sharp and makes the camera settings easy to read including the live view histogram (which can be placed anywhere on the display. I also love that I can now shoot in full manual but retain AUTO-ISO which allows me to set any aperture and shutter speed and the ISO will tell me how the camera will handle the exposure. I love this feature and missed it on the GM1. Good luck in your decision!

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Appreciate x 1
    • Useful x 1