GM1 size differential?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tm3, Aug 21, 2015.

1. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    GM1 looks like really unique and cool camera, as well as GAS inducing.

Without actually holding one, it is hard to tell -- is it significantly smaller than, say, the EP5 or EPL3 or GX1 or whatever? For example, once a 20mm lens is added where can the GM1 fit that slightly larger cameras cannot? Seems like the lens would be a limiting factor.

Hope I stated that clearly.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is noticeably smaller and lighter, but the lens makes a big difference. It only really retains its size/weight advantage with pancake and smaller lenses like the 7.5 FE, 12-32, 12mm, 45mm f/1.8 etc.

3. mrboult

mrboult New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2012
    My favourite lens in the system has always been the 20mm. I've had it on an E-P1, a GX7 and now the GM5.

Yes the GM bodies are significantly smaller than any other M43 body. Noticeably smaller even than the Oly E-PM1. My GM5 + 20mm fits into almost every jacket/coat pocket I have. Even the inside pocket of a suit! It's not so small you'd want to keep it in your suit pocket, but it will happily slip in for a second to free your hands.

The GX7 is in my opinion the best M43 camera. But as I used it most with the 20mm, I sold it for my GM because that combo is so easy to take with you. And if you spilt the lens and body and put one in each pocket, you'd forget it was even there. even with the 45mm it fits into some coat pockets. None of my other cameras would fit with that lens.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes the lens plays a big part. But just how small is the GM1? With a 15mm body cap lens it's smaller and lighter than the original Sony RX100.

5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Literally, same size as pack of cigarettes.

6. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
  7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Here is very quick and dirty size comparison.
    OI000114. OI000115. OI000113.

8. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Thanks, helpful stuff.

So, with a body cap lens it could be a front pants pocket camera, and with the 20mm a jacket pocket or maybe some kind of small belt pouch it seems.

One more question: is changing aperture or ISO done fairly quickly (touch screen?) or is it fiddley (small dial on the back?)?

9. luck002

luck002 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2015
    Somewhere in Indonesia
    Abu
    GM series make Pana 20mm not a pancake anymore and Pana 14mm became a normal size lense. The only pancake lense for GM series are Oly BCLs.

I had my used-lens buyer told me that he want to have a GM5 by reading review from internet. He became curious to m43 after he saw his friend bought an EM10 for it's miniscule size, that his friend should add an additional grip to get a proper handling. I told him that GM5 should have similiar size and handling with my GM1, so I showed him mine, and he was shocked because he didn't expect that GM1 is way smaller than the EM10. Hahahaha.

I dont have any problem with changing the setting in my GM1 even in Manual Mode. I use the circular wheel for aperture and ss, Fn1 for ISO, touchscreen for focusing and some Fn shortcut (silent mode, wifi, etc). Maybe because I don't have big fingers.

10. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I use the dial to change settings, and to be honest, it is one of the worst dials I've ever used. That is the biggest shortcoming, for me, of that camera. Other than that it is just joy to use. Aperture ring on the PL15 helps a lot when shooting with GM1.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I used a combination of the screen and dial. Screen to select the setting and dial to adjust it.

12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I mostly use aperture mode so the dial changes the aperture right away. And I use FN1 to get into the ISO-menu and then use either "cursor keys" or the dial to select the ISO. Simple enough. :)

EDIT: To be honest, the dial is a bit too sensitive and easily goes over the wanted value. That's why I prefer the left/right keys when choosing ISO.

13. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    It wasn't really fair for me to say "fiddly" just because it is a dial.

I was thinking about changing aperture on the EPL3, which to me is not quickly done because of the way the dial works.

14. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Can you elaborate on that? I just acquired a GM-5 and have been looking at acquiring one of those PL15 lenses because it has that aperture adjust ring. That would allow me to shoot "old school" style when using the GM-5 but I understand that the aperture ring it will not work on my E-M10.

15. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    With any Panasonic camera it helps shooting because you can see the selected aperture even before you switch on the camera. The downside is that it is possible to accidently change your aperture before you switch on the camera. But with GM1, that aperture ring makes the handling much more easier, because you don't have to use that 'horrible' dial on the back so often. You can even change the aperture with gloves on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Does the ring function in all modes?
    Or only in A/M?
    In A is the back dial active as well?
    If so can/does it override the physical ring?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    It works only in A and M modes. Also it works during video if you use aperture priority setting for filming. You can change the aperture during recording on GM1 at least.

In aperture priority if you select the red A on the lens, the camera functions just as with any lens, you select aperture and do the exposure compensation via the back dial. If you select any aperture value from the lens, then the back dial automatically becomes dedicated exp comp dial.

In manual mode you can select the aperture from the lens, in which case the back dial becomes dedicated shutter speed dial. Or you can use the red A on the lens, then you use your back dial for both aperture and shutter speed.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I don't have either camera to comment, but I will say that ergonomically the click dial on the GM5 is much, much nicer than the scroll wheel on the GM1. It makes it more into a mini GX1, which I always felt was a pretty nice handling body (for me, anyway).