GM1 shutter problem?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by machetta, Dec 7, 2013.

1. machetta

machetta New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2013
    Sydney
    I finally received the long awaited GM1 camera and was delighted to play with it for a few hours until I found the camera makes some unpleasant, intermittent shutter noise when I press a release button.
    Here is the video showing the problem. I noticed it happens when the lens is extended to its maximum focal length (32mm). The sound disappears at 25mm.
    I just LOVE the camera however very disappointed with this noise :mad: Already emailed to B&H, hopefully the problem will be resolved soon.

2. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    It looks like that the sound comes from the autofocus motor of the lens. Do you have another lens to test?

3. machetta

machetta New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2013
    Sydney
    Yes, I do have Panasonic 14 2.5mm and Olympus 12-50 - no problems with them at any focal length.. It would be good if it is just a lens problem.

4. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    As I suspected, it's the lens.

5. machetta

machetta New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2013
    Sydney
    1) The noise is still here in a manual focus mode on GM1.

2) When I mount the suspect lens onto Olympus OM-D EM5, there is no noise.

It appears the problems can be observed only in combination of GM1 and its native lens (Panasonic 12-32)..

6. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Long awaited? When has 1 and a half months been long?

7. ginggreenaninja

ginggreenaninja Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    South Yorkshire
    Any time seems a long time when you're counting the days.

Could the lens be working any differently when fitted to the Olympus?
    Could it be the OIS, which is also in the lens?
    Can you try another 12-32 from in store?

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I would exchange it. Lens or camera, doesn't really matter… If a noise like that were normal it would have certainly been mentioned by reviewers.

9. machetta

machetta New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2013
    Sydney
    Bumping this old thread. B&H sent me a new camera as a replacement of the faulty one. The new camera however exhibits the same problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA-9Dc02vFU

Has anyone experienced the same problem? I have heard that Pana Leica 25/1.4 lens has some screeching noise problems too. I was wondering if it is somehow related.

10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    weird, mine is very silent. gm1 and 12-32.

11. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Not sure what that sound is as my GM1 is quiet, cannot advise on the lens as I sold it straight away. The Pana Leica 25 lens does make a rattling noise due to the aperture blades closing and opening repeatively as bright light hits the sensor, but it is completely different to the noise in the GM1 video.