GM1 or... something else

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by weeowee, Mar 30, 2014.

1. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    i'm trying to decide between an x100 and the gm1 as my backup my main is the em5. i want something smaller for street photography. the x100 seems to be a bit too big similar size to my em5, i haven't seen a gm1 in person because where i'm from there's only 1 shop that i know that sells it and will check it out tom. I was also interested in the 12-32 lens so that's a big plus for me. any thoughts or opinions? i just want a camera that i can use for snapshots and everyday use and also for street photo, but i don't want the small sensor of most point and shoots so the sony rx100 is out. I'm leaning towards the gm1 because i was planning on buying the 12-32 in the future so why not just get it as a set... but anyway other suggestions are welcome.
    *another option would be a nex camera with a good prime
  2. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    on the other hand i heard great things about the x100 especially with the new update, i just didn't like the feel of it when i was playing with it but maybe that's because i wasn't used to it... what do you guys think?
  3. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I've seen the GM1 and it is small small, the only other small camera that could be considered in the M43 camp is the EPM2 as the price has been reduced on these, but, if you're planning on getting the 12-32 anyway, you might as well go for the GM1. In the UK the cost of the EPM2 and 12-32 lens is roughly the same as the GM1 with that lens.
    I too like the X100, but as you said it is about the same size and weight as the larger M43 bodies. There is also the Ricoh GR and Nikon Coolpix A in you don't mind the 28mm fixed focal length.
  4. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    yep i'm also looking at the ricoh but i don't like the way it looks, i know that's only superficial but yea maybe as a 3rd choice=) thanks

*dangit. haha after a couple of hours of research and youtube videos, i'm starting to like the ricoh.. i want to challenge myself and stick with just one focal length for my walk around since i still have my omd for longer focal lengths but since i'm used to shooting with a panny20, is the ricoh going to be too wide for me?
  5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I have an e-m5 and got a gm1. I now take it everywhere with me, sometimes with the 12-32, sometimes with a 12, 20 or 45 prime. I absolutely love it. The fact I can use all my existing lenses with it made it a no brainier choice. Also, what I didn't think I was getting was a superb videocam: the video on the gm1 is great. The focusing and tap to focus make it more useful to me than the e-m5.
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    They are in very different weight classes. X100 looks like it could eat Gm1 for breakfast :)
    It all depends on what you are looking for. X100 is a very cool camera that produces remarkably clean files and the focal length is versatile enough that you can use it alone for a trip or excursion. It's an over the shoulder size though. Gm1 is truly pocketable with a small lens and very light weight. Very different cameras. Both have uses. Maybe buy both :)). Not helping much, am I?
  7. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    If you want to be able to use any lens you already have on a very small camera, the GM1 is a great choice.

I bought it essentialy to have the 12-32, and end up liking maybe more the GM1 than the 12-32 ;)
    There are some limitations:
    - no wireless flash and very limited flash sync speed
    - fixed screen
    - no IBIS
    - no auto ISO in M mode
    - very high noise reduction in JPEG (I do not use JPEG so I don't care)

But that the kind of things you know when you buy (at least the first 3).
    The ergonomics are much better than what I expected, the body is configurable enough for me, and there is a mode dial.

I bought it in addition to my E-M10... I'm very satisfied with it for now.
  8. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    I have the E-M5, GM1 and X100 and use any of them for street photography. The GM1 is very small and it complements very well with E-M5. Sometimes I use the GM1 with small lenses (12-32, or primes) and the E-M5 with longer lenses. The X100 is different class. I use it when I just want to enjoy shooting without the hassle of changing lens, and concentrate more on picture taking. I also never bring the X100 with any other two cameras. The autofocus in the X100 with the most recent firmware is quite fast, but not in the same league as the E-M5 or the GM1.
  9. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I've been weighing this choice, too, except I've been contrasting the GM1 and the Fuji X20. (I know it's a smaller sensor, but the body size felt like a better complement to my GX7 than did the X100.) Though I guess the GM1 looks even tinier! I feel like is be a shoe-in for the GM1, if only it had an accessory mount for a viewfinder...

Who knows, maybe I've just talked myself into the GM1. :) either way, I agree that the smaller body makes the Panasonic a better "sidearm" body than the larger Fuji. The X100'd be more an either/or to the Olympus, imo.
  10. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Just me, but these are two very different cameras. How important is lens changing to you, and how happy are you with a 35/2 equivalent? (i.e., can you live with just a 17/1.8 on your GM1?). The X100 has kinda magic files, the leaf shutter, and the hybrid viewfinder. It's a substantially different camera in how it handles.

Just FYI. Most point and shoots use a 1/2.3" format sensor. The RX100 uses a 1" sensor, which is quite a bit bigger (i.e., crop factor of 5.2 vs. a crop factor of 2.7). What is in the RX100 is not your typical P&S small sensor.