GM1 optical slave flash woes

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wjiang, Jan 23, 2015.

1. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So I just spent half an hour trying to get the following photo. In the end it was taken with the little pop up flash of the GM1 as the only light source, tilted up and gobo'd with a little silver reflector into my DIY soft box.
    P10104021.

What I was actually trying to do was get the pop up flash to trigger my more powerful optical slaves (YN560-III, Nissin i40). I tried both manual slave (S1/SF) and TTL suppression slave (S2/SD) on both flashes, to no avail. Manual slave would trigger too early, and TTL suppression slave basically wouldn't trigger at all. I got it to go off once or twice with the slave stuck at some arbitrary distance from the GM1, but it wouldn't really work properly.

Is there any way of getting the GM1 to trigger optical slaves or at the very least be able to turn off TTL flash?

2. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I did it and got it to work :)

Set the GM1 flash to fire twice and set the Yongnuo to (S2) mode so it ignores the first flash and that should work.

3. wjiang

What do you mean by fire twice?

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    It uses a brief pre-flash for metering - if you set the flash to synchro 2 you'll probably notice it, with synchro 1 it's so rapid you wouldn't always spot it, but triggers often do!

5. wjiang

Okay, so I managed to get it working semi-reliably, but not how you guys have suggested... I tried 2nd curtain sync, that didn't help. What did seem to work was getting the i40 slave to trigger on every flash pulse in SF (manual) mode, with the power low enough to recycle in time for the real exposure pulse. The YN's timing seemed to be off so it still wouldn't work in either mode, but strangely if the i40 triggers in SF mode it can then trigger the YN in S1 mode with the correct timing.

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Sorry to go off topic, but hows that wide adapter work with the 15mm? What's your opinion on this combo?
    Bobby

7. wjiang

8. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    The camera flash is activated twice.

You can set the flash mode to "slow sync" or a combination of "slow sync" and "red eye".

One of these combos has a longer interval in between firing, but I forgot which. Either way the first flash was too fast for my Yongnuo to sync with.

Using this method I was able to get consistent results, but only at 1/50 sec.

B

p.s. Slow sync is the little flash icon with an "S" next to it and red eye of course has an "eye" next to it.