1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GM1 - now or later

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by finerflower, Jul 28, 2014.

1. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I was looking for a second more portable system to compliment my G6. It looks like I found it thanks to advice from using this forum. The GM1 is tiny. It looks like it will suit my needs. However. New it is $750~ and used or ebayed, it looks to be just shy of $600. Will I be upset with new stuff coming out soon? I'm trying to wait for some new announcements and updates from Photokina.

If I go ahead and get the GM1. What do you think I could sell me G6 plus the 14-42 II kit lens for?

2. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    ...I feel that I would be using my camera way more often if I had it with me all the time....

3. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    I do not have either the GM1 or the G6, but I do not think that I would be very happy with my GX1 without the external EVF. In sunny situations it is very nice to be able to see what you are shooting. It is also much more discrete in low light situations. So as nice a camera as the GM1 trully is I would not replace the G6 with it. I would however consider geting a used GX1 just to always carry a camera with me (with the P20 probably on it so as for it to be slightly pocketable). This way you can have a second camera at a small cost (probably smaller than what you would lose by selling the G6) and when really going shooting you get the extra bonuses of less lens changes and insurance if one of them develops a problem. And you retain the EVF availability.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Nothing beats the GM1 size advantage, but the Olympus E-PM2 with a prime lens gets pretty close. For about $200 less than the price of the GM1 you can probably get the E-PM2 and the P20, which is precisely the combo I use when I want something more portable and less valuable than my GX7.

eBay has some deals, every once in a while Newegg/eBay sells the E-PM2 kit for $199.

5. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    The GM1 has a new model sensor, so in terms of product cycle whatever Panasonic bring out imminently is probably not going to be a major upgrade there.

If you're used to the Panasonic menu system, you may find the Olympus one and their touchscreen implementation ... iffy.

I went for the GX7, but the lack of an EVF on the GM1 wasn't a major factor in my decision.

6. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I'm deep into the Panasonic menu system....

7. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I second the suggestion of the GX1 . . .
    Small, less expensive and more controls -
    and you can add the EVF if you want to.
    Same menu system, too.

8. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    You're very eager to see what's new at Photokina... are you sure your G6 won't tide you over until then? It's only two months away... If you're not using your G6 at all, by all means trade if for something else, but I think you just might be feeling the Gear Acquisition Syndrome ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    You are partially right. I really do love this g6, the articulation screen? It's just not as portable as I'd like it to be. I am carrying a larger everyday bag just to bring it with me every day.

10. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I picked up a used GX1 to tide me over until my GX7 came back from the shop, still a 16mp camera, pretty darn cheap and t.i.n.y. Wish it had focus peaking, but I've been real happy with it. I will say that once I got my GX7 back I was blown away by how much faster is the newer cpu and how much better its LCD, but that's what you'd expect from a camera that came out in 2011 (and why you can pick it up for $150).

• Like Like x 1
  11. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Love my GM1. If you get a used one and sell off the 12-32 (which is great, if you need a small zoom) it should be like 300 or 350

• Like Like x 1
  12. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    Yes, but isn't the 12-32 necessary for portability and a quality piece?

• Like Like x 1
  13. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I love my GM1, but I would never sell my E-M5 for it and I would not sell the G6 for it, either. The GM1 is a gem, but its size requested some tradeoffs. This isn't bad, because none of the tradeoffs limits the photographer as long the GM1 is being used for what it is meant to be used for. The G6 and the GM1 are completely different cameras and complement each other very well. I don't think that one camera can completely replace the other.

That being said, I want to add that I have been using my GM1 exclusively since I bought it last month. I used it nearly exclusively with my pancakes (14mm and 20mm). This is one of the two most enjoyable cameras I have ever shot with. The second one is the E-M5. I would not like to wait any longer, if I were you.

• Like Like x 3
  14. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Yes, of course. The GM1 is exactly the camera one wants to buy, if one wants to buy the most portable camera without compromising image quality. Therefore, the 12-32mm is a lens one has to keep in order not to compromise the GM1, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rolle

Rolle Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 12, 2013
    Always carry a camera in the pocket as it is the way to more pictures. I own the E-Pl 1 and the OM-D M5 and a Sony RX100.

The Sony RX100 is always lying in the pocket of my shorts. I have been taking more pictures with the Sony than with the other two cameras. I was looking at the GM1 as it looked like the same size as the Sony. Unfortunatly it is to big, as the lens do not retract in to the body. To my opinion it is not a comfortable
    Pocket camera that you carry in the shorts pocket and feel it is not there. (In the pocket of the winter jacket it might be O.K. :)

The market is still wide open for Olympus. But I guess it is the larger sensor size that makes it impossible to make a retractable lens that makes the camera as
    Small as the RX100.

16. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    I appreciate that you do not want to stray from Panasonic because you are used to the menus but I will throw this in anyway
    Also consider the Olympus OM-D EM-10
    The camera is extremely compact and can be bought with the new extremely compact 14 - 42 'pancake' zoom
    The additional benefit is that you can add the inexpensive Olympus ECG-1 grip which transforms the camera into a better handling camera with larger lenses and/or for larger hands
    The grip is very well designed and supremely comfortable and ergonomic in use and is removable in about 2 seconds flat to allow access to the battery and SD card
    You then have the choice of a very compact camera without grip or something more akin to your G6 with it fitted
    You can then consider selling the G6 without losing out on ergonomics and have a single camera and save money !
    The only consideration here is whether you require high quality video capabilities as the G6 would win hands down over the Olympus
    I know that the Olympus menus get a lot of criticism but the SCP (super control panel) is accessible by the press of one button(ok) button and renders all of the most used settings available instantly
    The EM-10 is better thought out than the E-M5 and has better buttons and is very customisable
    Don't sell yourself short with your choices without considering this camera !
    PS I love Panasonic and Olympus cameras and will happily buy and use both but having just bought an EM10 can see that it would be a good choice for you IMO (and you get a high quality vf built in)
    Hope this helps to give you options
    Regards
    Rob

17. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Just bought Lumix GM1 one weeks ago with good price....hmmm so far the JPEG is good and the art filters is plenty then my EM5.

Before i bought this, i also considered RX100 MK III but then again its to expensive for P&S camera, Sony art filters kinda boring, with GM1 i can change my lenses and i also can carry everyday with in my bag. Honestly speaking...i'm thinking to let go EM5 hahahaha love this tiny beast.

Rob suggestion is good. You should considered EM10.

18. Engawa

Engawa Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2014
    I know I'm probably dreaming, but I would definitely sell my GM1 if a GM2 came out at photokina with a pop up EVF, a hot shoe, and the ability to sync flash at high speeds due to the electronic shutter.

19. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    What if it was 10% taller?

20. Mwing

Mwing Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    im considering selling gm1 for em10, im new to camera gm1 is my only one, but evf is useful