GM1: keep or return? issue

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davidzvi, May 7, 2015.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Just got a GM1 from eBay. Very good price, $75 below the cheapest current eBay price on the silver one (blue and orange on ebay are cheaper than the silver ones). It's just body, 12-32 lens, battery, charger. No box, no papers (I knew this before purchase), I bought it just for the body to go with the gear I already have anyway.

The only issue is it turn out to be an international camera and not US. But yes I mean $75 less than the new in the box silver international listings on eBay. Seller is a camera store, said it was a trade in on a DSLR and "oops". They offered to send me a return shipping label, no questions asked.

But given the price and that I was planning on selling / trading the lens anyway I'm really thinking I'll just keep it. Good idea?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The only issue is that you could have the dreaded flicker in video taken under US 60hz lighting since the camera will likely only shoot 25/50fps vs 30/60fps. Otherwise, the rest of the camera is the same. Too bad they don't allow you to unlock the other fps modes since people DO travel outside their country and take video....

http://urbanvideo.ca/avoid-video-flicker

(You'd have the opposite problem to this video since you'd be 25fps under 60hz instead of 30fps under 50hz lighting )

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well, to be honest, I care about video about as likely as it is that I will ever own a Bugatti Veyron so.....

My main concern is actually about service if I need it. Nikon won't even service a gray market camera unless you have the receipt showing you bought and paid for it in the country of origin. I know Olympus use to have the world wide warranty so I always assumed any service would not be an issue. But I have no idea about Panasonic.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would assume since you bought it open box, you'd have a hard time with warranty anyway.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Not open box, NO box. Warranty isn't the question, but service down the road?