GM1 JPEG Quality

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ssgreenley, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    So I think it's finally time I upgrade my EPL2 to the new generation of sensor. I'm torn between the EP5 or the GM1, but am leaning toward the Panasonic (mostly due to portability and that it's cheaper once I sell the kit lens).

I'm worried that I'll miss Olympus colors, though, especially since I'm hoping to use wi-fi for the Facetagram. Have Panny's skin tones gotten better? Is there anyway to set the color defaults to better approximate Olympus? This is probably my last holdout before I pull the trigger, so I welcome any other comparisons between the two cameras. Thanks!

2. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    I never use the E-P5 but I have the E-M5, so I think the jpeg quality is about the same. I have also the GM1 which I bought several weeks ago and the GX1 (which I'm going to sell) and had the GF3. IMHO, there is an improvement in the jpeg quality of the GM1, compared with GX1. Skin tones has gotten better, and the AWB has improved a lot. Using the standard jpeg settings in both cameras, I would say the jpeg quality of the GM1 is as good as the E-M5.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    I think the GM1 JPG's look very good. It is the only camera I have that I feel good shooting JPG and uploading strait to FB. I always shoot RAW with the GH2 and GH3 so I can correct the orange looking skin. I've also just raised my auto ISO limit to 12,800 because they look fine for social media sites.

I like the improvements to the color and JPG's, but the high ISO from this new Panny sensor is very impressive and much better then the GH3.

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
  6. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Sorry this hasn't anything to do with oly jpg vs pana jpg but since you mentioned you plan on getting GM1 and use wifi to your phone, I thought i'd share this.

I usually shoot raw, but right now I shoot raw + jpg with my GM1. OSX does not have GM1 raw support yet, but Adobe does. Also you can't transfer raw files to your iPhone via wifi only jpg.

Since I haven't shot jpg in so long, recently I compared a GM1 jpg vs raw and I was surprised how aggressive the noise reduction is applied to the jpg. Its not bad, but its definitely more that I would apply in Adobe. I also find the details in the shadows get a little darkened and lost but its not bad. I am assuming this is normal due to the jpg compression. It's something I would expect from a jpg. It's a personal preference, I guess, I like seeing details in the shadows which can be tweaked in raw.

Another thing I noticed, is when I transfer photos from the GM1 to the iPhone via wifi, the photos look darker on the iPhone than it does on the GM1. I usually use Snapseed to edit photos on the phone anyway, but I do find I brighten them up quite a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks very much! This is sort of what worries me. The biggest draw to Oly is, as long as I get the exposure right, their JPEGs are really better than anything I can pull out of Lightroom.

How much control do you have over JPEG processing in camera? Can you turn down NR to an acceptable level? Change color vividness?

8. fluberman

fluberman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Indonesia
    Alex
    I turn down the NR level in camera to -3 (the lowest is -5) and sharpness to -1.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Everything points to the GX7 & GM1 having decent skin tones, similar to Olympus, which is new : GH3 did it first..
    The e-pL2 isn't brilliant in that regard, certainly not as good as previous Olympus models, so I expect the GM1 be be acceptable for you.
    (When you buy your new camera do not sell the e-pL2, it is a seriously sorted camera with that little bounce flash.)

10. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Thanks, that's reassuring.

No worries about my ever getting rid of my PL2. I absolutely love its handling and the photos it takes. My GF is trying to get me into Instagram, though, but if I'm going to do that I want a nice camera with wi-fi so I can do it right. The GM1 seems better suited to this than the EP5, which I would buy as more of a replacement.

At this point I'm just waiting on my tax refund to pull the trigger!

11. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Panny is more conservative with their JPEGs than Olympus so definitely turn up sharpness, turn down noise reduction (this is a must) and increase saturation.

I was wondering why my JPEGs were looking a bit blocky/unnaturally smooth at ISO 800 and yeah it was the NR.