GM1 -- Is it me that finds it so odd sizing?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by LovinTheEP2, Oct 18, 2013.

1. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Is it just me or is Panasonic doing a bad thing by causing a lens design issue with this new 55mm issue and have previous lens tooo large to fit properly on the camera body.

What the hell????? A few more mm wouldn't have change the design any and not have caused the issues of lens being higher then the camera body..

Beyond strange and messed up In My Opinion and very risky and silly move.
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Older lenses fit on the body just fine. I mean, really, how often do you take pictures with the camera sitting on a table top? All this business about the camera "tilting over backwards" when you set it down is absurd, in my book. Who cares? I care about how a camera handles in my hands, not lying around on a table.

The design goal for this camera was make it as small as possible. If you don't like that approach, don't buy it. But to criticize a camera because it's smaller than some lenses you might mount on it makes no sense. Have you ever seen a Canon or Nikon DSLR with a 300 or 400mm f/2.8 lens mounted on it? Yep, the lens is considerably bigger than the camera. I guess DSLR shooters are too busy taking pictures to worry about this trivia.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I love the idea of a smaller camera. That is what brought me to m4/3 in the first place. Lately, the size advantage has been disappearing and I have always thought that Panasonic was missing the boat on size. Well, not anymore. Now m4/3 has the GM1 and its new smaller lenses at one end and the big Panasonics and the EM1 with the bigger lenses on the other end. This makes the system appeal to more and more people and that is good for all of us. More cameras, more lenses, more users, etc. etc.

The GM1 would make a great second body for someone who wanted to pocket the camera with the 14mm or the new 12-32mm lens.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Just saw the spanish video.. mmmmm.. kind of growing on me.

I will Reserve judgement until I see how it looks with the 20mm 1.7 mounted to it and the x-zoom and if it has any image stablization and if it has the GX7 sensor.

Making we think if it's a good option for me until the EP6 specs are released ...
  5. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    No image stabilization and they will release a vertical grip that works better with the normal lenses. One other thing is that mechanical shutter is limited to 1/500 but the electronic goes to 1/16000 yes that's not a typo.
  6. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    OTOH, the flash x-sync speed is now 1/50s. Ain't gonna be using that pop-up for daytime fill any time soon... (sigh)....