GM1 GX7 NTSC Canada / USA differences?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by D MATIC, Jan 6, 2014.

1. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I live in US and I want to purchase the black GM1 or GX7 from Canada either from Henrys or Adens, etc. Will I be okay shooting and editing video in the US with a camera bought in Canada? Are there any differences between the US and Canada versions of the cameras? Are they exactly the same except for the colorway options? (Canada has the cameras in full black)

Sorry I am not familiar with anything related NTSC/PAL other than the fact that I know PAL is not US. And I've never purchased any audio video products outside the US.

2. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

3. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Saw that one on BH but I don't want that kit lens. (I read that this len sold with the camera is different then when sold separately) I wish they sold it with the new 20mm.

4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

The Japan kit has a black 20mm. I'd prefer that as well. But apparently most Yanks wouldn't go for that combo.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Canada is NTSC and 60 Hz, same as the US, so if the camera is a genuine Canada Distributor item it should be NTSC and 60 Hz. But if you buy a grey import camera, it might be from (or destined for) a PAL country and have a PAL area sensor that outputs video at 50 Hz. Quite a few online retailers sell grey import cameras at discount prices. You need to ask the retailer, and even then they might give you the wrong answer by mistake because they are not well informed and think you are asking if it can output NTSC (they all can do that) - which is not the right question.

If your camera has the wrong area sensor you will tend to be plagued with flicker on your videos when discharge lamps are providing the lighting.