1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GM1, GM5, PM2?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by WT21, Aug 1, 2015.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    To pair with a P20 only (OR might try the PL15/1.7) -- which body and why?

GM5 is intriguing because of the VF. PM2 is super cheap (like, $150), but the biggest of the three. GM1 is in between (under $300).

Any thoughts?

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've owned the GM1 and now GM5. The EVF on the GM5 is nice, but I only use it occasionally. I think having it makes me more comfortable using the LCD though.

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Isn't that ironic? I'm kind of the same way with my EM10.

4. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I have the E-PM2 and the Panasonic 14mm pancake. It's very pocketable and makes a pretty good travel camera. The 20mm would probably be a better length for me, honestly, as the FOV on the 14 is too wide for "normal" photos. It might be getting too big for you though, with the largest body of the group and a larger lens. I did carry the E-PM2 every day for 3 months with much larger MF lenses and still managed to "pocket" it most of the time in my jacket.

I also have a GX7 like you and was looking at upgrading the E-PM2 to the GM5 for the times when I do want a viewfinder and/or a smaller body. I can't handle the slow flash sync on it though, so I had to skip it until I can afford a dedicated pocket camera instead of one that doubles as my backup body.

5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    In terms of direct controls, the clickable-dial on the GM5 is such a huge step-up from the rotating scroll wheels on the E-PM2 and the GM1 (or GF7).

That ergonomic benefit was actually what sold me on my old GX1 instead of the E-PM2 when I was originally buying. I like the GM1 for its single-minded focus on smallness, I just wish it had the click-dial of the GM5. I don't need the GM5's EVF or hotshoe (would definitely prefer the built-in flash), and certainly don't need its extra price. So it would be a frustrating decision between those two. Fortunately my GX1 still does the job as a small camera well enough. Hopefully the GM2 will have slightly better ergonomics but still in the tiny, affordable form factor.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The difference is size between the GM1 and GM5 is actually just the thickness that the little thumb grip and EVF add. The height is virtually the same when you consider the top plate on the GM5 is level with the dials while the dials on the GM1 sit on top of the top plate. I would have preferred the built in flash as well until Olympus introduced that little flash for the E-M5 mII. Going to pick one of those up since I have a GM5 and LX100 that is will work with.

Untitled.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Fair point. I would just prefer the specific features of the GM1 (built-in flash instead of EVF), with the click-dial of the GM5, at the GM1's price point. I have to assume the EVF has to be responsible for a good amount of the GM5's price increase over the GM1.

8. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    E-PM2 with the 20 and the 9mm BCL + the VF-4, as a travel kit. The EVF on the GM5 just doesn't do it for me.

9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I used to carry an E-PM1 and the 20mm f/1.7 around all the time - it's jacket pocketable and fits easily into small spaces in bags and daypacks. The E-PM2 isn't that much bigger, so should work well, too. As for the GM series, I found the GM1 clearly too fiddly for my taste, the GM5, on the other hand, surprisingly handy (better control dial placement, more function buttons) - and the EVF is quite usable, though tiny. An VF-2 or VF-4 on the PMs, though much better than the EVF on the GM5, makes them unwieldy because it sticks out so much - I actually prefer the LX100 to either of those combinations, in spite of the fixed lens and slightly smaller sensor and resolution.

If you prefer small size and convenience, nothing beats the GM5; but when I had to replace my E-PM1 (the shutter went dead - and repairs are ridiculously expensive where I live ...), I went with the E-PL7 instead - more versatile, better handling, good I.B.I.S., great IQ, nice price. It's clearly bigger and heavier than the E-PM1 and E-PM2, but it offers the articulated screen and a much better placed control dial - I'm pleasantly surprised so far, even if I much prefer the E-M10, the E-PL7 is a huge step-up from the E-PM1. With the 20mm, it makes a quite compact package, too (though curiously, I prefer the 17mm f/1.8 on it - because of AF speed, mainly).

M.

10. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    If you plan on using the P20, I'd definitely recommend a Lumix body also. I was about to sell my "useless" P20 since the focus missed way too often and was too slow on my E-PM1, E-PM2 and E-M5 but I decided to give it one more chance with the GM1 I bought. --> I'm now selling my P14 instead since the P20 shines on Lumix cameras. On Olympus cameras it's almost useless - at least in my hands.

Also, GM1 is pretty darn small compared to E-PM1 & E-PM2. I love my GM1 much more than I ever liked the Olympus Minis. It's not perfect but it's much more fun to use (and easier to "drag" along).

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    You've got a point there. I wouldn't go so far as to call the 20mm useless on the Olympus cameras - it gave me some of my best shots with the E-PM1, after all. But it was really an eye-opener to shoot it on a GF1 - on that seriously dated body, it not only shines, it excels. I still use a GF1 with the 20mm and EVF (yes, the first one - a real relic ...) as a walkabout camera, and the lens is astonishingly well behaved and a joy to shoot, much more so than on the E-PM1. That said, on the E-M10 and E-PL7, the 20mm works lots better (i.e. quicker) - but still not as fluid as on the GF1.

M.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Hmmm - I'll have to go and try this - very interesting.

13. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I bought the GM5 over the net without trying beforehand. In hindsight the only downside for me I find the EVF rather small, and wearing spectacles doesn't help either. However that doesn't turn me off the camera, far from it, I tend to use the rear screen 99% of the time, but it's comforting to know the viewfinder is there if needs must. No experience of the GM1 or E-PM2.

14. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    So I tried the AF of the P20 on the GM-5 vs the E-PM2 and I could not tell the difference in all honesty. The P12-32 is much faster than the P20 on the GM-5. Two things stood out for me: the EVF is not great (compared to the VF4, and especially with glasses), and for someone with big hands the GM-5 is arguably too small. YMMV.

15. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The 12-32mm is an amazing lens for its size and price and is much quicker to focus than the 20mm on any mFT body. What's much improved(!) on the GF1 over the E-PM1 is deployment speed and accuracy - less hunting, much quicker switch-on-to-taking-an-image time ... In good light, I doubt that the AF performance discrepancy is big, if at all noticeable. But what I found is that with the GF1, the 20mm performs very convincingly in bad light - I know it's counter-intuitive, but that is what I experienced. Anyway, maybe my E-PM1 was off - it certainly met an untimely end by losing its shutter ... But deployment time with the GF1 is still best among all the (now four different) types of mFT cameras I tried it on.

M.

16. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Here's my tip, as a more recent glasses wearer: try using pinpoint AF, which magnifies the focus area so you can actually tell where the focus is. It's working well for me.

17. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I have, but I find the magnified image interferes with compositional decisions. On static scenes, however, I see the benefit.

Edit: Is there a way of turning magnify off in pin point? If there is I haven't worked it out yet.

18. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You can set the pinpoint AF time to a shorter period to make it less obtrusive. You wouldn't want to use pinpoint AF otherwise on such a small EVF.

19. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    For me the GM1 was much better value for near enough the same camera give or take a few features... I personally could not justify paying 50% more for the GM5 for the "average" viewfinder.

I think if they were the same price, I may have been tempted but the built in flash of the GM1 can be quite useful as you can bounce it (sync at 1/50 is not great though).

It's also a shame Olympus seems to have not updated the PM2... perhaps they are struggling to make a body similar dimentions to the dimunitive GM1/5?

• Agree Agree x 2