1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GM1 - finicky rear dial

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by StevenK, Jan 30, 2014.

1. StevenK

StevenK New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    First, to avoid starting a flame war, i really like my new GM1. It's not going to replace my GH3 but it's a great little carry-around camera, which well-though-out compromises.

One annoying thing I'm trying to work around is the rear dial, the one used to set the aperture in aperture priority mode. The issue is that it's very easy to press the inner buttons If i use just one finger, I almost always end up hitting white balance at some point while I'm trying to adjust the aperture. Am I the only one indelicate enough to have this problem? I'm getting around this (sort of) by lightly pinching the dial with my thumb and forefinger and twisting, and that kind of works, but it's weird.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there another way to adjust aperture in aperture priority mode, or shutter speed in shutter speed priority? It seems like this would be a good thing for the touch screen to help with.

Thanks in advance,

- Steven

2. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I don't have any issue with the wheel. If anything, I find that it spins too easy, but I never accidentally press it while spinning with my thumb. You could try scrolling the wheel from the right side rather then on top.

If you want to use the touch screen, you'll have to set the Q Menu to "Preset" in settings. This Q menu will allow you to tap any setting on the screen, and change it on screen. For example, if you tap the aperture number, it will pull up an onscreen picker. You can do this for all displayed items like shutter speed, ISO, wb, quality, etc. You can also use the 4 way directional to navigate thru each setting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. StevieW

StevieW Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks for posting this. I'm trying to decide between the GM1 and the GX7. I love the size of the GM1 and the handling of the GX7, but I really want a camera that will fit in my jacket pocket easily. In the local shop I found the GM1's dial finicky too. Can I just confirm that the touchscreen method outlined above works? The reason I ask is I've downloaded the GM1 manual so I can have another play in the shop and try and put aperture and shutter speed adjustment into the Q menu and try it out for myself. But (unless I'm looking in the wrong place - P40/41), the manual doesn't seem to say you can add aperture and shutter speed to the Q menu. I'm hoping you can, as I think this might be my next camera. Failing that I think I'll opt for the GX7

Any further info/clarification would be appreciated.

Sorry if its a stupid question. (Its my first post so please be gentle!)

Thanks

4. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    StevenK, I too, have the GM1 and I also find myself using 2 fingers to accurately control the rear dial. This camera is nowhere near the picture/video taker that the GX7 is . . . but it is very cute, totally cool and non-threatening and if you steady the camera REALLY CAREFULLY it will do a decent job in low light.

In Vegas recently I carried both the GX7 & the GM1 . . . I used the GX7 until it's battery died (forgot my extra battery back at the Luxor) but I didn't forget to carry the GM1 in my coat pocket so I switched to the GM1 to finish the evening. The GX7 REALLY delivered and the GM1 is just too cool to leave behind.

5. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    StevenW, actually yours is an excellent question. (See my response to StevenK). I have both cameras and am very happy with both. (So far, I have only used the 12-32mm kit lens with the GM1). If your main concern is size then the GM1 is very cool. If you want the best pictures and videos, the GX7 with deliver major league. When used with the 20mm f1.7 lens, the GX7 is also small, and not as intimidating as larger SLR looking cameras - (GREAT for street photography and general photo/video).

As to adding shutter speed or aperture to the Q Menu . . . I don't know BUT I checked on my GM1 and when the mode dial is set to A the "finicky" rear dial sets the camera Aperture. When the mode dial is set to S the rear dial sets the Shutter speed. Hope that helps.

6. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Here are pics of the Q Menu in "Preset" mode (NOT Custom). I just took these with my iPhone of my GM1 and I can confirm it works. As you can see it will allow you to tap anything on screen and a pull up scroller/picker will appear.

Hope that helps

GM1-q-menu.

7. PandaSPUR

PandaSPUR Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    Registered just to write this post lol.

Anyway, I just got my GM1 earlier this week and was a bit worried about the rear dial since I've heard complaints from others as well.

However, I find that its actually pretty easy to use once you get used to it.

My Canon 5D has a similar rear dial, but of course that one is MASSIVE and has only one small button in the middle. I had to readjust how I normally use rear dials to suit the GM1.

From what I've noticed, the ridges on the dial do a good job of "grabbing" your finger. It is really easy to turn by just sliding your finger along the dial, rather than pushing down and making circles with your finger.
    I tend to just "slide" my finger up and down on the right edge of the wheel. Works pretty well for me.

8. StevenK

StevenK New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    Sounds like it might be a matter of practice, but I still haven't mastered that rear dial.

However? I can confirm using the 'preset' setting for the q menu does enable touch screen control of the aperture. So that's helpful!

I'll use the camera for a few more months then report back, so far I'm impressed. A very cool tool.

9. StevieW

StevieW Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2014
    Thank you all for the replies. The points that have been raised are the points I'm considering too. I'm doing more street photography and that's why I wanted a smaller camera - to be a bit more stealthy. That said, it's not all I do, so a good all rounder is what I'm after. It's good to know that the touch screen method works. That's a plus point for the GM1. It's interesting that dolbydunn, you say the GX7 is better easier at taking great photos especially in low light. As the sensor is the same, I guess this is down to the ibis? - which is something I'd rather have than not. Plus point for GX7. I tried the GX7 and it will fit in my jacket pocket at a push. Hmm. It looks like both cameras will do a decent job. If there was a GXM2/7 that was a little bit bigger than the GM2, with control dials, a tilting screen and ibis, well that would be the one for me! :) But the GX7 did feel great in hand and that's were the camera will be most of the time, but I know never leave home without a camera the size of the GM1.

Thanks all.

10. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    StevieW, The handling/ergonomics of the GX7 are superior as are the controls and customizable buttons. I suppose the reason I didn't do as well with the GM1 in low-light is that I only used the kit lens on the GM1 which has a slower aperture than the 20mm f1.7 I typically use on the GX7. Also, the GM1 is small and more fiddlly. The comfort difference - the handling - favors the GX7 . . . . especially for video.

(Sample photos taken with GX7)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sample photos taken with GX7)

11. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    Some sample photos taken with GM1 & 12-32mm kit lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some sample photos taken with GM1 & 12-32mm kit lens.

12. StevieW

StevieW Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2014
    Great shots!

I have the panny 14 and 20mm already and I like them both. So the GM1 kit lens probably wouldn't be used much, although it does seem to better than the standard kit lens, so would be nice to have. But I think I've come to a decision and that's the GX7. I'm used to being easily able to change the camera settings and I seriously wonder whether I could get used to the GM1. Also it has the tilting screen, Ibis and EVF and they are things I'd rather have than not. Maybe if I can get a cheap GM1 on Ebay sometime in the future I can have both!

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'd already decided on the GX7, but the advice here has confirmed that.

Thanks all again.

Steve