1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GM1 EFC?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by zensu, Jan 22, 2015.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm a GM1 newbie and I'm checking out the settings and run across the 'Shutter Settings'. I thought the GM1 was EFC (electronic first curtain) in all shutter modes but the options in this menu setting are for Auto, EFC, or ESHTR. Does the mechanical shutter use a mechanical first curtain or does it use the EFC?:confused: Thanks for bothering to read this newbie question.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is electronic first curtain (mechanical stepper for second curtain), the other option is full electronic shutter. Auto just chooses between those two options depending on shutter speed, and whether you have a recognised lens attached (if not it forces electronic shutter annoyingly).

• Like Like x 1
  3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks wjiang! This is what confuses me, if it's EFC for either mechanical of electronic shutter why the heck does it offer the EFC option? I'm obviously missing something.

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Unless the EFC option should actually be the mechanical shutter only option.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well the two options are:
    1) EFC / MSC (they've decided to shorten it to just EFC since most people know 2nd curtain is mechanical?)
    2) EFC / ESC (they've decided to shorten it to just ESHTR since both are electronic)

• Like Like x 1
  6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks again wjiang! You've helped this old man understand the options much clearer :)