1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GM1, but now thinking GM7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by battleaxe, Jul 22, 2015.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've mentioned my GF3 is slowly dying, and I kept hearing how the GM1 body only can be had for under $300. I am not really seeing those prices but am seeing it going for a little over $300, which is more than I prefer to spend. In my search I noticed body only GF7 can be had for a little more than the GM1. I was thinking about going GM1 solely for the size and improved IQ at higher ISO, but since the GF7 is the same size as the GF3 but with a tilting display it has me thinking maybe? Like I am still really being swayed by the GM1's size, but then the GF7 swings back with a tilting display. Then again for about the same price as the GF7 body only I can get the GM1 with the 12-32mm lens. Hmmm

I am just here to see if anyone has had both cameras and which one they use more.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I haven't been able to use a GF7, but used a GF3 for awhile. The GF serious is definitely cheaper and more plastic, whereas the GM series are premium cameras, really solidly engineered and with lots of features. My GM1 has me impressed. Although I'm selling it for a GM5 now, heheh.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    GM1 is the ultimate street camera. I love the small size.

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I'm pretty sure you cannot go wrong with either. That said, I'm impressed too by the GM1. The materials used and the overall feel (and look :)) of the camera are excellent. If you like zoom lenses, the 12-32mm would be the only good AND compact option to go with. It really is a good lens. Of course if you need that tilting screen go with the GF7.

5. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    My GM1 impresses me every time I use it... it still makes me chuckle that this tiny point & shoot sized camera can produce IQ the same as the best much larger M43 cameras :D

I would like to see a tilt screen though but not at the expense of making this camera bigger.. I prefer the larger 3:2 screen to the GM5's 16:9 and rather have this over the EVF for this type of camera personally..

I paid £300 for mine with 12-32 which I think is a bargain still... If you can now get them for $300 (£200) then that would be a no brainer!

• Like Like x 1
  6. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    The title of this post says "GM7" I think you mean GF7

Though i'd love for Panasonic to make a "GM7" which I would assume the way they are doing things would be a larger GM5. I wish they make a camera the same size as the GF2/GX1 that was the perfect size. GM1 almost unnecessarily small, and the GX8 is unnecessarily large.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The GF7 and GM1 are really much more alike than different. Beyond the selfie-friendly flip screen, the GF7 also adds a bulb shooting mode that the GM1 lacks -- other than that the spec sheets are nearly identical.

I've read reviews of the GF7 (perhaps it was DPReview's) that say the slightly larger size of the GF7 made it a bit easier to hold. Obviously, YMMV on something like this depending on your hand size and how you grip the camera. And really, the size difference is pretty small -- you're talking maybe 4 mm in extra height (disregarding the hump for the hinge), 8mm in width and 3mm in depth.

As far as the price, when I was looking a couple of months ago the GF7 was significantly cheaper. Since then, it seems the GM1's price has dropped while the GF7's price increased slightly to where the GF7 is $30 or so more expensive at the best prices I'm seeing.

To me the decision between the two comes down to whether you feel that the functionality of the flip screen justifies the size and weight penalty.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Does the GF7 have a silent shooting mode? My guess is that unless Panasonic carried over the stepping shutter form the GM series (gut says they didn't) then the GM1 is going to be much stealthier with its crazy quiet shutter.

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The specs of the GF7 list a "Silent Mode". I always thought that was just basically activating the electronic shutter (which the GF7 has) and muting the other sounds.

I haven't seen anything definitive that confirms the GF7 shares the step-motor shutter of the GM1 (and GM5?), but based on the (fairly slow) 1/50 second flash sync speed it shares with the GM1, I would guess that it does.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  10. battleaxe

I've been looking a bit, but who has the best prices on a GM1(body only and with lens) right now? That maybe a swing factor for me. I also forgot the GM1 uses less plastic vs the GF7.

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure there's a major difference in terms of materials between the GM1 and the GF7. Previous GF-series bodies have had primarily plastic outer shells, but the GF7 reportedly offers build and material quality very similar to the GM1.

As far as price, I'm seeing the GM1 + 12-32mm kit for $450 at all of the major retailers at the moment. The best price I'm seeing for a GF7 + 12-32mm kit at a retailer I would feel comfortable recommending currently is $480 at NewEgg.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I have one for sale for $280 on the forum here ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. battleaxe

That's the color I would get, but personally was hoping for black so my roommates don't realize I made another camera purchase. Im still waffling a little between the GM1 and GF7 as the idea of a tilting display seems nice for social events, and if I meet a celeb and no one is there to take a picture(or celeb wants to take the selfie shot, which happened years ago, luckily the canon I had was equipped with an articulating display).

Deejay I don't mind going use so i've seen the GM1 with 12-32mm lens going for around $355 at B&H(or was it Adorama).Really I think it comes down to lower priced & smaller size, vs a slightly higher price vs features(body only for both).

14. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Don't think I've seen the GM1 for that price on Adorama, that's more like after factoring in the $200 gift cert they included with mine.

15. battleaxe

16. luck002

luck002 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2015
    Somewhere in Indonesia
    Abu
    I wish there will be a new GM camera announced this September. My GM1's screen is full of heavy scratch now, really regret I didn't apply any screen guard when purchasing it. As for GM5 not released in my country. I've seen my friend's GF7 and not being impressed by the built quality.

17. battleaxe

I was almost set to order the GM1 next week, until I went on ebay and noticed the GF7 can be had for under $350 with free shipping from Taiwan. That price is really tempting. I guess I have a week until pay day to figure it out. And maybe I'll go back to my local camera shop and try both out and see what deal they can give me on either camera.

18. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Dang, that's a good deal! The GF7 does have good features for street shooting with the flip-up screen.

19. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    a few dollars ??? Jez

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. battleaxe

That extra cash(its like $20) could go towards gas money to go to the beach or have a drink or tow.