GM1 black on black on black

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by D MATIC, Jan 21, 2014.

1. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Some images of the black GM1 with black kit, black p20 II, black o45 and black gariz half case.

• Like Like x 18
  2. joeyjiang

joeyjiang Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, California
    Joe Jiang
  3. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Looks really good
  4. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
  5. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010

Could you please say something about the Gariz half case (quality, usability, ...) - I think it looks much better than the aluminium grip by Panasonic.
  6. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    The front leather bump adds a nice grip for your middle finger to grab onto. It adds a nice height, so when you shoot, your index finger is less cramped and in a more comfortable shooting length. There is a cut out on the bottom to access the battery and sd. But its almost impossible to take out the sd card because when you eject the card, it doesnt come out far enough out of the cut out for you to easily grab with your fingertips. The battery doesnt have this problem, because after you release the battery lock you can just invert the camera and slide the battery out. The locking ring has markings, so when you tighten it, you always tighten to the same mark. This is a nice feature. Have not tried the tripod mount, but it isnt in the center of the lens. The quality seems very good to me, but I havent had any other cases like this to compare too.

While it looks nice, it does mask the nice super clean lines of the camera. It makes the camera bigger, but not overly big. I dont think the bottom plate is made of thick metal but rather plastic and then a very thin metal plate on the end. It makes the camera look balanced with larger wider barrel lenses like the p20 II. But with skinnier lenses like the o45, the camera looks better with no grip. With the grip and the o45 attached the camera will tilt forward when placed on a table.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    Thanks for the detailed review!
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great looking kit! I

How does that mkii 20mm look in person? Wondering if the black on black mount on black mount gives the bigger 20mm a slimming effect? :smile: I always thought the 20mm, with its wider body, looked a little awkward on my E-PM1/2.
  9. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012

The p20 II looks great in person. My GX1 with the original p20 was stolen over the holidays so I cant compare them side by side. I can't pin point exactly what it is, but aesthetically, it just looks a lot better. It's either the new shiny plastic inner ring or the more streamlined outer housing with less ridges. It kinda "looks" smaller. But its not. Performance wise, it's the same. Same buzzing AF motor but sharp resolution and small size. It's a compromise thats worth it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Shoot, I like the looks of that thing!
  11. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I really like the black on black. Now if olympus would make one with 5-axis. I'll be all over that.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Strange that the Oly 45mm looks like it was designed to fit this camera but the Pana 20mm doesn't - or is it just me?

Looks like the new Oly 25mm F1.8 could also be a good match.
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 12mm f/2, 17mm f/1.8, and 60mm f/2.8 should all fit well too - pretty much any lens where the body is equal in thickness or narrower than the mount 'block' of the 45mm.
  14. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    As well as the new upcoming PL 15mm 1.7 with aperture ring. Until recently, I didnt realize it was designed with the GM in mind.
  15. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    looks cute with the half case.
  16. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    With the 45 she look perrrrdy.

But I can't get over the fact that only 18 prime lenses exist for this camera if you want to use the shutter. Ugh!
  17. Friedel

Friedel Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 21, 2010
    Silver and black

The GM1 silver and black

Greetings, Karl
    • Like Like x 3
  18. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    That is looking NICE!
  19. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    Add a Samyang FE, an Oly 12mm and that compact 35-100mm Panasonic have recently shown off, and I think I'd be in hog heaven.

All in Black of course :wink: