1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GM1 and 12-32 for ever together?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stevedo, Oct 31, 2015.

1. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    UK
    Purchased my GM1/12-32 kit at the end of August this year and so far very happy. However, today tried to remove the lens and can't get it to budge. Pushing in the release button and trying to turn the lens results in no movement what so ever. The camera has not been dropped or bashed and before anyone cries operator error I also have an EM5 I've been using for a couple of years without issue and been using cameras since the late 1970's :). So my question is any ideas, short of a hammer and chisel, how I might remove the lens? One reason for getting the GM1 as a complimentary body to the EM5 is that I can interchange the lenses.

The obvious thing to do would be to send it in. However that's not really practical as I'm on a multi-year round the world motorcycle trip, currently in Mexico. I purchased the kit from Amazon.com and had a friend send it to me in Mexico.

Ideas welcome
    cheers
    Steve

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    One question and one piece of advice. First, when you hold the release lever, will the lens move at all in either direction? And, I would offer a word of caution on applying any serious amount od torque to the lens. A number of folks have posted about their lens barrels coming unglued from their bodies due to glue failure.

Good luck,

--Ken

P.S. Can you slide a piece of paper anywhere between the lens and the mount just to see if they have adhered?

3. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    UK

Hi Ken, when pressing the release button and trying to turn the lens in either direction results in no discernible movement of the lens at all. Thanks for the warning on the lens "barrel". I was aware of it and haven't managed, yet, to break it free :)

There is no way I can slide a piece of paper between the lens and mount.

Looks like I'm going to end up with a fixed zoom lens. :-(

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    There should be some play if you try to turn lens back and forth without pressing lock button. If you can feel that play then issue is with lock pin, if not - then lens is glued to the body.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I've never had anything like that happen with mine so I really have nothing constructive to add. As someone whose 12-32 came apart, I second the caution on how much torque you apply. Not to make light of the situation, but if I had to select one lens to have permanently welded to my GM1 it would be the 12-32. :( Good luck...

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I had one more (hairbrained?) thought today. Can you gently work a piece of floss anywhere along the outer edge of the lens between the lens and mount? I am wondering if this might cuase whatever is "gluing" the lens to the mount to loosen. It might also help you identify the troubled spot, assuming that it is not the entire mount.

Good luck,

--Ken

7. proximal

proximal Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2011
    Just a guess, but the button and the release pin might have come undone so the pin isn't disengaging from the lens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If he can, the camera is broken. The body and lens mounts are precision machined to have no gaps. Any gap would cause a light leak and/or a misalignment between the lens and body.

Try gripping the lens in the area that has 12-32 printed as tightly as you can, not the zoom ring, and try to twist it off . It's the adhesive that holds the zoom ring on that isn't strong.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You are correct that the lens/mount mating is absolutely tight. I was not able to get near any equipment for a closer inspection until tonight, and had thought their might have been a small amount of play. I have some older Nikon bodies and larger lenses can sometimes exhibit a very small amount of play if wiggled, and thought this might also be the case here.

--Ken

10. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    UK
    Just an update from me on this. After multiple attempts over a number of days I finally managed to remove the lens. However, there has been some collateral damage to the lens. The narrow part of the lens barrel has loosened off i.e. it's possible with some effort to turn the ring on the body of the lens albeit with some effort. The tiny plastic peg that is used to align this ring has also broken off. After removing the lens I had to realign the ring to its correct position. I don't think this will be an issue in the long run, it's not likely to fall off. I cleaned both the lens and body mounts with a cloth lightly soaked in WD40 and the lens now pops on and off much easier. I suspect that there may have been something between the two parts the last time I mounted the lens i.e. the time before it got stuck. I also have an Oly 12-40, P7-14 and Oly 75. Just out of curiosity I mounted each of these on the GM1 and found each to be a lot easier to mount and unmount. My suspicion is that my lens and body are both at the extremes of their tolerances resulting in a really tight mount.

thanks for everyone's ideas
    all the best
    Steve

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    My anecdotal, and statistically useless observation from having Olympus and Panasonic cameras and lenses, are that tolerance and RMS finish variability of the body lens mount are more of an Olympus issue.