Glowing Highlights

FastCorner

Mu-43 Veteran
Found this picture today and was intrigued by the glowing highlights.

National Geographic Found

tumblr_mjcqmegxET1s7f3fyo1_1280.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I assume this is a feature of the lens because the in-focus areas seem sharp, so I wouldn't think anything was placed in front of the lens. But I could be wrong.

Any ideas on how to replicate this with modern lenses, specifically native Micro 4/3 lenses?

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not so much the lens as the light. Strong midday light falling through a window in an otherwise diffusely lit scene can give you this kind of look.

veereshai

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I assume this is a feature of the lens because the in-focus areas seem sharp, so I wouldn't think anything was placed in front of the lens. But I could be wrong.

Any ideas on how to replicate this with modern lenses, specifically native Micro 4/3 lenses?

I think it's the lens too. As far as replicating that effect goes, I think smearing some vaseline on a filter and using it might give you similar results. I am not sure though, your best bet could be getting a really old cheap lens off ebay and giving that a shot :smile:.

EDIT: Did a quick search on flickr for "Vaseline Glow" and got this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mkinchloe/5735919583/

Althought it was shot on film, you should be able to replicate it in digital.

elavon

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ehud
In those days they have used long shutter because of low ISO films.
You could also help this by using small aperture opening.

FastCorner

Mu-43 Veteran
Not so much the lens as the light. Strong midday light falling through a window in an otherwise diffusely lit scene can give you this kind of look.

So, dark room, small window, subject in direct path of sunlight? I'll have to try this.

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Besides possibly being the lens it could also very likely be halation in the film (reflections in the film base). It is quite common, especially in older emulsions, and looks almost exactly like this.

FastCorner

Mu-43 Veteran
Besides possibly being the lens it could also very likely be halation in the film (reflections in the film base). It is quite common, especially in older emulsions, and looks almost exactly like this.

I looked up halation and seems like a prime suspect here.

I really like the fact that it's a local effect, rather than global like a soft focus filter. Tried making my own Softar once, but it ended up just looking like my lens was dirty...

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran

+1

It looks to me to be mostly halation and very little lens flare, if any.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree that it is the film in combination with the lighting.

How to simulate!? I tried it in Lightroom and could not do it. I was able to get an OK simulation in PS elements and even better in full PS. Here is what you do. First select those super bright highlights and copy them into a new layer. Then brighten them to the max{or close to it}. Then set the layer blending mode to lighten. Finally add a gaussian blur. For an even more dramatic look in full PS you can add an outer glow in white to the glow layer before doing the blur{the glow style in elements is too limited! for this one}.

Latest threads

Top Bottom