1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Glass Screen Protector for GX7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jnewell, Mar 16, 2015.

1. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My older son just bought a GX7 (very nice camera!) and wanted to put a glass screen protector on the rear LCD. We haven't found one that's specifically sold for the GX7. Did we miss something? Alternatively, would a screen protector sold for another camera work (i.e., which cameras have equivalent size LCDs?)

Many thanks for any leads.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I didn't get a glass screen protector, I just cut down a 3-pack of Spigen Nexus 5 screen protectors for all my cameras. However, be aware that the bezel on the GX7's screen is not 100% flush even though it almost looks like it, so you really need to make sure the screen protector is the exact right size.

I don't imagine you can cut a glass screen protector though, anyway, so you probably need a perfect fit from the start.

3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I purchased a glass screen protector from a Japanese vendor on eBay. Happy with it for the most part. Clearer than some of the non glass ones, and it feels better. No bubbles. Only negative is that if I press more firmly on the screen in the upper left corner, that edge just barely come off. Not a major issue for me though, and the pluses outweigh that one negative.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Aren't these difficult to remove in the sense that a heat gun is required to soften the bond sufficiently that it doesn't rip the back of the camera off when trying to remove it.
    I bought a cheap plastic screen protector designed for an ipad and cut it to size, cost me 0.99 of one of our fine British pounds. How quaint is our currency?

5. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    I got this one from ebay and it works great. It fit my GX7 perfectly... just have to be careful when applying it so you dont get excessive bubbles behind the screen protector.

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Interesting, thanks. So are the G6 and GX7 LCDs the same size?

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I used to use screen protectors but have decided in the end that they're not worth the trouble:

- They are hard to fit without bubbles or lifting corners

- Even if you get fitting right, the corners peel in time

- The screens are actually pretty tough anyhow

- Realistically, the life time of a body is probably 3 years and a few marks in that time isn't going to make you a worse photographer!

8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I was quite happy with Micro Solution (Amazon) protective films - worked just perfectly, without bubbles or peeling on EPL5, EP5, EM10 and GM1

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I put a screen protector on my new GX7 after my GX1 started delaminating pretty badly after just a year. It's not a few marks or scratches, it's like weird bubbles and low contrast areas...pretty distracting.

10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

For those with bubbles - there are instructional videos around on youtube that are a big help with removing bubbles. First thing - turn the screen off for a few hours before you start. Static charged screens attract dust like nothing else. Wipe it down with a lens (glasses) cleaner. Drop the protector flat on the screen, push out bubbles with a credit card/sim card holder. Any bubbles that remain are going to be specs of dust. Lift up the nearest corner to the bubble, push a loop of sticky tape under it and dab out the dust.

11. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    There is also hinge method to align screen protectors.

12. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    If bubbles aren't far from the edge they will escape on their own over a period of time - the bubbles represents a distortion in energy levels and Mother Nature doesn't like that.
    Another tip I read was to do it in the bathroom (the real bathroom, the one with a shower and/or a bath in it :)). Run the shower for a bit, the humid environment reduces the amount of 'free' dust in the air.

13. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    One of the problems I have is alignment. I can discharge the screen using an ESD compliant wrist strap (basically a conductive strap connected by a 1Mohm resistor to earth), and reduce the risk of entrapped dust using the bathroom trick.
    I'd be interested to know about the 'hinge method'. Can you say some more?

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I hear you and definitely agree on the last point, but resale is a lot easier if the rear screen is pristine. I've never bought a camera planning to resell it, but it happens. ;)

15. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    Maryland
    I use this same one on my G3. $10 for two, put one on and have the other as a spare. As I say in my review on Amazon "The protector is a very thin, firm, self-adhesive plastic which went on very easily with no air bubbles. I used a Zeiss pre-moistened lens wipe to clean the screen, then the Micro Solutions microfiber cloth to dry it off. The touchscreen continues to work exactly as before I installed the protector. I'm not sure anyone would be able to tell there even is a cover on the screen if I didn't tell them."
    It's been on for 9 months and shows no signs of bubbling, peeling, etc.

jeff

16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Here it is.
    BTW, what is the bathroom trick? Run cold shower for some time to get rid of dust in air?

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks for sharing the hinge video on YouTube. I wish I'd thought of it, how simple and effective is that!!
    Yes, the effect of running the shower with the door closed increases the humidity in the room, and hence the water vapour in the room precipitates on the 'free' dust and effectively falls to the floor as rain. So with the amount of dust reduced the opportunity for it to get onto the screen is equally reduced. It's worth trying, bit of messing obviously as you need a table and chair, something portable maybe.