1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Glass or Body?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SilenX, Jan 5, 2014.

1. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    I've reached another point to where I can afford an additional piece of my camera kit and I'm torn between upgrading my G5 body to a GH3 before the rumored ultra expensive GH4 comes out or buying a black Olympus 75 f/1.8 lens.

I am interested in the 75 for it's obvious sharpness and because it's a shooting style I like - a long focal length. I prefer candids and shooting from a distance and the 75 gives me low light capability, unparalleled sharpness, and build quality that I can't get elsewhere.

The GH3 is an interest of mine because I feel I've reached the point in photography to where I've out grown the G5 body. I often find myself wanting to quickly alter the settings of ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc. without delving through touch screen menus on the G5. I feel as though the capacitive touch screen - while being more responsive - and multiple tactile dials would allow me to do what I am looking for. While the EM-5 and EM-1 have these dial types as well I am worried about losing video quality that Panasonic cameras are known for because I do do some video work for family events.

I suppose another option would be to get a used EM-5 for the multiple dials and get the 75 lens at a later date. Although, I believe it might be more of an economically sound decision to buy the glass first since glass prices really remain static for the most part and when I have the funds for the body it may be even more cheaper with the supposed release of the EM-10.

Sorry for the rambling just trying to get my thoughts out and get opinions at the same time.

If anyone can think of any options I haven't thought of I'd appreciate hearing them.

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    If you really like the 75mm, Wonderful lens, get it, you can get the better over all IQ with the new camera, but you can't get the lens character, lenses are better value and g5 definitely not a bad one, it's your call.

• Like Like x 1
  3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unless you can score a cheap used body, I say go with glass… My 2 bodies i have, i have gotten at bargain prices… So if the 75 is calling you then go for it.. I just got my 75 on a trade I did for it… you could look at something like that here…

Anyhow… good luck...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I highly recommend getting an Olympus body with 5 axis IBIS if you get the 75mm. It just makes the shooting experience that much better with the lens.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    I've a G5 and very seldom use the touch screen as I need to put on my reading glasses to see it properly, which is a real nuisance. I have found with a bit of practice that by using the rocker switch and dial I can quickly change ISO and aperture/shutter settings without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

I'd buy a lens before buying another camera but that's just me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    Glass > body

I remember the days when I had the first Canon 10D, paid a good $800 for that thing. Within a year it went down to $300 or less when subsequent models were released (XT, XTi, 20D, 30D). The L glass I bought for it though remained the same in value (assuming you keep all boxes and yada yada).

Body contains technology that continues to improve which means the body you hold is worth less and is not as novel. At this point most M4/3's are pretty decent, your G5 being a fantastic camera when it was first released.

Go for the glass. Hey, if you don't like it, by the time you are sick of it just sell it for the same price and get the new body for a huge discount after the amount of time passed!

• Like Like x 2
  7. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    Glass.

I'm a recent convert from Nikon, and recently sold it all. For a few lenses, I used the lens for 23 years, banged it up, dropped it more than once and it sold for MORE than I originally paid for it back in 1989. Essentially, I used the lens for free for over 2 decades (this of course, doesn't factor in inflation - but still).

On the other hand, my Nikon D300 dropped over 75% in value in the few years I had it.

Duke it out with the G5 , and get the 75 first.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    If you decide that you can't live with the G5, don't overlook the G6.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I've always bought more glass than bodies. Every time, it's been the glass that's reinvigorated my photography.

I tend to keep one lens on the camera for a while. So when I switch it up it's a lot of fun.

So for instance, back in the days of my Nikon D100, I started with it using my standard zooms and a couple of primes I had from my Nikon AF film body. Then on a whim (and an office gift-card for a camera store for a bonus) I bought a Nikkor 24mm f2.8D and it was as if I had a whole new camera. Sure it was still 6mp but the lens really made that camera pop!

• Like Like x 1
  10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If you will get use out of a lens that your current options do not have then go for the lens, if you feel you will get more out of a fresher body then perhaps that is the better option. If you fancy an EM5 I would hold off until the next version is released, hopefully it will bring used prices down or the EM10 might have something you get use out of. The good thing with a quality lens is it will out last a few changes of body, but its what makes you content that is important.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Even with the old G3 that I use, I find that quite easy.

4-way buttons: ISO, WB, Focus mode, shooting mode
    Fn1: AEL lock
    Fn2: Quickmenu -> Histogram, AF/MF, Picture format, RAW/jpeg settings, Guide line

And that's pretty much all I need. And the G5 even has an extra Fn button. But, it probably also has something to do with hand size, mine are small. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    The body prices decreasing is kind of what I'm banking on if I purchase the 75 first. The G5's images it's producing are great for my standards after I tweak them in Lightroom - which I enjoy doing unlike a lot of new G5 owners it seems.

I'm going to try and see if there's not any tips and tricks I haven't uncovered on my own to help me get around the camera itself better before jumping ship to a new body.

I think the G6 is a great option but I have rather large hands and feel the GH3 would be a bit more comfortable in my grip.

I am hoping the next version of the EM series drops the prices of the EM5 only further - sorry EM5 owners - as it would make purchasing the EM5 after getting the 75 that much more sweet.

It's good to see everyone's opinion is relatively the same as mine; glass will always remain static and the bodies will only decrease in value.

13. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Look in the marketplace.. I have seen several 75s listed.. You will be helping fellow members at the same time probably getting the lens at a decent price… just a thought!

14. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    I've been watching the marketplace like a hawk, it's actually where I get most of my equipment. But, I am interested in a black 75 to match my G5. I swear I have mild OCD at times. It seems anyone that has a black 75 will not part with it and it does command a higher price as well. Only place I can find a black one cheaper is refurbished online.

15. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    A
    I heard www.adencamera.com had a good sale (North America only) however it seems their sale prices (which should last till Jan 9th) has changed already and member quoted prices are not the same as advertised prices. Weird thing though is that even for brand new units....the black is more expensive than the silver. I mean...is black anodize really that much more expensive? Come on Olympus!

16. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    Black anodized isn't that much more expensive, no. It's just a much more sought after color and olympus and retailers seem to recognize that sadly.

17. tonnting

tonnting New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    on a DSLR in regards, always keep the glass.

As for mirror less I noticed the prices of the lens are quite affordable. and I'm not familiar how long would it take for them to have problems, If only there are more pro lenses or tanky build then I'd say go for the glass as well, I've also noticed several morrorless body decline in resale value after couple of months. so I think a smart move would invest in glass.

18. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    The purpose of photography is to practise, shoot and get better in your shooting style. Therefore the equipment you buy should reflect closely to what you need rather than what you want. It sounded more like you need a 75mm more than the body. The body is what you want but not something that will deter or delay your ability to shoot. Only the focal length. So I would get the lens first, because that addresses your needs.

Why do you need a new body? What can the body help improve your shooting style? Sure, better ergonomics and better placements and so forth. But then that didn't deter the greats like Ansel Adams who used a big honkin 4x5 or Galen Rowell with a cheap plastic zoom lens to hike up mountains. The reason is simple, they both NEED the most appropriate tool to allow them to capture photos and those are the compromises they needed to make photos with.

• Like Like x 1
  19. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    Gets people excited about the tool and outside using it.

20. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Sure. But a body depreciates badly as opposed to a good prime or zooms. But yeah, I wouldn't mind a used E-M1 myself!! :biggrin: