Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JDBingham, May 28, 2015.

1. JDBingham

JDBingham New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2014
    I'm heading to Glacier National Park at the end of June and I don't know if it is a good idea to take along my 50-200 or 35-100 to photograph wildlife. Has anyone been there and will I see enough wildlife to justify taking a long lens?

2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    the 35-100 is probably too short

3. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Yes, bring your longest lens + TC too if you have one. I was there, I had my P100-300 and it was very useful. I saw many Big Horn Sheep around Logan Pass parking lot early in the morning. I hiked to Hidden Lake (from Logan Pass,) many Mountain Goats were at end of Hidden Lake trail and those goats were very close. Both cases a short zoom can do. Bears are when you need a long lens (for safety is the number one reason.) Bears sometimes could be seen on the road side but still, be very caution and not go crazy for closure :). Oh yes, bring bear sprays if you plan to hike in the woods. It's a bear country. I learned a big lesson by encountered a bear about 6m away from me while hiking at Many Glacier back from Redrock Falls.

It's a magnificent place and enjoy your trip. I loved it!

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I love that place. I want to go back. You should take it. I'm partial to landscapes, but I saw moose just 1/4 mile from the Many Glacier cabins/restaurant area....they feed in the eve at a small lake, as well as deer. Only saw one bear via telescope someone had in the parking lot, but others I spoke to saw them closer (including my GF at the time while I was elsewhere). You may or may not want to hike with it, but you'll get use out of it. Good to have for Goose island photos too if you want to focus on the peaks. I took the old original 40-150 4/3rds kit lens at the time with my E500. Didn't have the 50-200 yet, but it might have been a bit heavy for the 12 mile hikes.

Enjoy your trip. Didn't have the option to take shuttles for one way hikes, so all were round trips, since it was after Labor day. Definitely spend time at Many Glacier and check out the Steakhouse in the neighboring town outside the park (forget the name). There is a 4/3rds photographer that lives in Kalispell you could prob get tips from. I'll post or PM his name if I can remember.

5. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    I live about 15 mins from the west entrance and consider the park my backyard. Bring your longest lens, widest lens, tripod and ND filters. If you've other questions ask away. Sorry I won't be here (off to the Camino in Spain) otherwise I'd be happy to host.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    People keep typing 50-200. Do you mean 45-200 or is there a new lens I don't know about?

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I would definitely bring the longest lens you've got. You'll definitely see animals, but sometimes they can be a ways off.

One thing to keep in mind is that in June it's possible that the Going-to-the-Sun road may not be open. The earliest it ever gets plowed out is mid-June, but it can be several weeks later based on the winter's snow level and the spring weather. I was there around June 25 a few years back and the road had not yet opened. I don't believe they had a huge snowfall this past winter, so it might be open by "late June", but you never really know.

As Steve (@Wisertime@Wisertime ) noted above, Many Glacier is (to me, anyway) the heart of the park and should not be missed. Where are you planning to stay?

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  9. JDBingham

JDBingham New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2014
    We are staying in East Glacier. Planning on visiting the Many Glacier area.

10. JDBingham

JDBingham New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2014
    Thanks everyone