Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Dave Lively, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    I went to Glacier last week and had a good time despite a heavy early season snow storm. This was a hiking trip, not a photography trip so the photos I took were usually not in ideal light but I was happy with many of them. I took pictures while it was lightly snowing but on one day left the camera in the car because it was snowing too hard to risk it. I took my GX7, 12-32, 100-300 and 45mm lenses but never put the 45 on the camera. I left my 60mm macro at home and did not miss it. The camera and 2 lenses worked very well for hiking. My only complaint is that a few times the 100-300 produced kind of funky bokeh, see the shot of a bighorn resting.

A little out of focus and weird look bokeh. Not sure what causes the odd bokeh. I would say motion blur caused the softness but several shots in a row looked the same and motion blur usually varies. Shutter speed should have been adequate since I had IS on.

Similar shutter speed as shot above, 100% crop but much sharper.

Wish I had a longer lens for this one. Bear was about 40 yards away. I met a few guys that bragged about getting within 10 or 15 feet of a grizzly while I was there. I wanted to congratulate them for being much more stupid than I was but kept my mouth shut.

I am not a big fan of hiking in foot deep snow but it really thins the crowds. We pretty much had the trail to ourselves going up on this hike.
    • Like Like x 21
  2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Wow, nice pics. I was there in August and it rained continuously, with heavy fog. Couldn't see a dang thing! I've always wanted to go off-season, and your pictures have reinforced that desire. Thanks.
  3. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice pics and I agree with you on the fools who would walk that close to a bear. Many folks seem to throw out common sense when they see wild animals.
  4. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    I grew up near the park and it still amazes me how many people get mauled by bears. It's not difficult - stay away live another day
  5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Nice photos! That funky bokeh and softness may be the result of atmospheric distortion - rising warm air from sun heated rocks cause some distortion.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks! I had not considered atmospherics since I was within a 100 yards but now that you mention it the sheep were on the side of a mountain facing the sun so that makes sense. The snow that the park got the next morning makes me forget how warm it was the first day I was there.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bomber

Bomber Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 8, 2014
    Dongara . MidWest of Western Australia
    Nice photos Dave , I particularly like the last one.

Cheers Glen
  8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    That was my first thought too, but not familiar with that lens either.
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    You got some great shots - I love the P100-300, one of my favorite lenses.
  10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I love number 5. We were there in mid-July. great fun. Lots of great day hikes.

Thanks for sharing.
  11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just watched a documentary on Glacier Nat Park the other night. I so want to go there! Thanks for sharing your great shots!