Glacier from Plane window

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Two of these are black and white, two are not, but all of them may as well be - they're all basically monochromatic even if there are hints of color in two of them. They were taken through a plane window early on Sunday morning, of the mountains just south of Glacier Park. With a very low sun in the east.

-Ray
Oly_5_.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Oly_4_.jpg
Oly_3_.jpg
Oly_2_.jpg

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
One more, truly black and white, just playing around with shapes and textures at the Minneapolis airport:

Oly_6_.jpg

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Those are pretty impressive shots, Ray. I forgot to notice what lens you were using. Love the textures and light. And although I like the glaciers better, too, I think your black and white treatment of the airport steps is excellent.

Ephemeral Moment

Mu-43 Regular
Those are stunning Ray, wonderful...

Really like both of them, but I think the b&w ones edge in for me, especially picture one, there's something about the light and shadow that makes it quite sinister

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Those are pretty impressive shots, Ray. I forgot to notice what lens you were using. Love the textures and light. And although I like the glaciers better, too, I think your black and white treatment of the airport steps is excellent.

Thanks much - all of the scenery shots, here and in the other thread with the pics of the Olympics and the Cascade volcanos were taken with the 45-200. The airport steps were with the 9-18.

We were out in Olympia, WA for my daughter's college graduation. I took about 500 shots overall this weekend - the vast majority being documentary type shots of the graduation and the parties and of the family the next day. A LOT of the graduation shots were taken with the 45-200, and the vast majority of the scenery shots were too, because everything scenic was pretty far away. That lens really got a workout and it did well. I had the usual percentage of out-of-focus shots, particularly at the graduation where I was aiming for a small target, but a lot more keepers than garbage shots. I like that lens a lot. For the scenery shots, its easy enough to focus on infinity. :cool: A lot of people don't like that lens, but it works well enough for me.

-Ray

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I'm sorry, who makes the 45-200mm and is it an adapted lens? You did very well by what we're seeing here, and I do really like those stairs, with the 9-18mm, too.

Oh, sorry, that's the Panasonic 45-200 - its a native m43 lens. Its about the least expensive m43 lens out there - usually sells for a bit under $300 new. I've seen a lot of complaints about its sharpness at the long end, but I think that's mostly a focus issue - it can be tough to get a good focus on a small subject at a distance. I've had my share of misses, but when the focus is good, I don't have any issues with the sharpness of the lens. Then again, my standards may not be the highest. :smile:

-Ray

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Thank you Ray. I am absolutely sure that my standards aren't the highest. You, however, have gotten super results. One last question, I hope you don't mind... Did you need to do a great deal of pping on these glaciers? I just love the textures and tones. My favorite to hang on my wall would be your first.

P.S. Maybe you ought to consider posting one of these to a thread regarding that lens. :wink:

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Thank you Ray. I am absolutely sure that my standards aren't the highest. You, however, have gotten super results. One last question, I hope you don't mind... Did you need to do a great deal of pping on these glaciers? I just love the textures and tones. My favorite to hang on my wall would be your first.

P.S. Maybe you ought to consider posting one of these to a thread regarding that lens. :wink:

Some PP to convert to B&W. Because of the low eastern sun, the snowy east side of the mountains tended to be a bit blown out and the shady areas were more or less black. So a fair amount of tamping down the highlights and a small amount of shadow recovery - just to the point you can begin to see some detail. Nothing complicated, just a couple of sliders.

I'll post some of these in the 45-200 area later today or first thing tomorrow.

-Ray

Latest threads

Top Bottom