1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Gizmodo Oz E-PL5 Quick Review'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    'The lens barrel must be manually unlocked from its closed position, severely slowing down the shooting experience.'

A quarter turn of the zoom dial severely slows down the shooting experience?
    It doesn't. It takes about half a second to ready the lens, and that would affect only the first shot. Picking up the camera and turning it on takes longer.
    There is nothing that severely slows down the shooting experience from the point of picking up the inactive camera.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    They forgot to mention how much enjoyment is lost removing the lens cap. Or how slow it is to have to spin the zoom ring to um well zoom... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's an odd review. It complains about stuff I've never thought about.

4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    On my E-PM2 for shooting video, I can adjust video compression, aperture, ISO, white balance, art filters. What's he talking about?

5. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    It's gizmodo, probably took a dozen photos of their ear before realising the lens goes at the front.

Having said that, I agree the record button feels weird on small Oly bodies. A side-effect of having two levels of 'click' on the button methinks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    For me, yes, absolutely.
    That's the reason why my collapsible kit zooms don't get used at all : the twist action plus the lenscap plus the infuriating message that pops up. I'll live with a bigger lens and keep my cool : Lumix 14-45

I must get around to selling this pristine silver 14-42R ...

7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    You know they also didn't mention that annoying pressing of the shutter and the pain of having to point the camera at the subject you want to take photographs of.... When will Olympus come out with the new Pen thought, with its mind controlled world lens, that takes pictures before you can think you want them! Lol

8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    You can only adjust before recording starts right?

I don't think I get manual controls during video recording on the E-M5.

9. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Does the EOS-M sensor actually "outshine" the E-PL5?

10. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's true. Only before you start.

The review sounds like one that could be written without actually trying the camera. The part I hate is how they make generalizations about how the EOS-M sensor "outshines" it. In what way? First time I ever heard that. Perpetuates the thinking that bigger is always better.

Interesting take on the articulated screen. A least you have choice. And $100 is a reasonable difference between E-PM2 and E-PL5.