Giveaway requiring facebook, who's not participating?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Wolfeye, Sep 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Since the giveaway thread states he'll delete anyone's comment about not doing facebook, I got curious. How many folks are not participating due to the facebook requirement? Of course, the goal is to recruit new members. Existing members are already here, so it makes little sense to encourage them to participate.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Facebook is free, so the only stumbling block to your entry would be stubbornness.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    That's funny.

4. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    Well then, you can count me among the stubborn.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. tkbslc

I was going to edit it to sound a little nicer, but I got quoted first! :)

I can understand why some don't want to be on facebook. So maybe "stubborn" is the wrong word. But you could join facebook, post no personal information, and delete your account in a couple of months if you really wanted to enter. If not, then move on and find a contest where you are willing to meet the rules. I don't enter those snowmobile giveaways at the mall because I'm not willing to give my personal info to enter. It's fine, I move on and realize I am unlikely to win anyway, so nothing is truly lost.

6. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    No problem, as far as I'm concerned, tkbsic.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I avoided using FB socially until recently, so I can certainly understand why someone would choose not to use it. Obviously there's no obligation for anyone to enter the giveaway.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I just wonder how he is going to associate Facebook names with user names here. Nowhere does Phocal come up on my Facebook page.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes! That is my question as well.

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I would have liked FB page even without giveaway, but it just repeats the forum threads and even then those posts do not have opening picture - big minus for any photo related.

11. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Facebook is an absolute and total waste of time and resources. I used the internet when 56kbs was fast, IBM still used punch cards and I was a beta tester for AOL and was dropped when I upgraded to DOS 4. No I don't "do" Facebook but I think some of the kiddies in the neighborhood do.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I tried facebook for another contest a few years ago. Suddenly I had friends and relatives trying to friend me on facebook. I was not interested and did not feel like explaining to everyone that I simply wanted to join a contest. Bottom line, I had to delete my account because it kept asking me to respond to requests. Overall it was a pain in the arse.

Sorry Uncle Larry, I don't want to be your Facebook friend...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tkbslc

What did Uncle Larry ever do to you!? :)

14. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Another blow for Facebook.

Not on it. Probably never will be.

Much to my 15 year old daughters dismay....

I also sigh heavily when a competition 'requires' you to 'like' on FB. But like others, simply have to understand that the competition obviously wasn't for me. :(

15. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. I don't have a personal facebook account because I have no interest in keeping in touch with people I barely know. But I did create a facebook page for my business. It is an invaluable tool for marketing precisely because so many people DO use it (many of whom are quite literally addicted to it).

So while the Mu-43 facebook page may seem pointless to those here on the forum, it's actually a great marketing tool. When anyone here "likes" a post, it drives the eyeballs of many of their friends and families to the Mu-43.com facebook page. If any of those have an interest in photography, it will further drive them here.

So while I can't join this promotion to win that sweet-ass lens, I fully support the need to have a facebook account to participate. Amin is giving away a $400 lens.....out of his own money. It's advertising..... a promotion..... a way to bring new people to the site, which in turn may bring a few more dollars in. I think it's a win-win situation.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In addition to FB likes helping drive traffic from FB to here, there's also the fact that Google is using social as an indicator of website content value. Thus an absence of engagement on FB causes our content to rank lower on Google. It's a double hit. While it's easy for a person to avoid FB, it's not so easy for a web community like this one to ignore FB. Those who dislike the fact that I'm requiring a FB like in this contest would probably also dislike the site dying a slow death like so many other forums.

On that note, I'm going to close this thread, which ultimately harms what I am trying to accomplish with the giveaway. Again, obviously, no one has to participate.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.