Give Olympus points for being bold and imaginitive!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by getoutandshoot, Feb 12, 2015.

1. getoutandshoot

getoutandshoot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Good grief, take a look at this thing currently on display at CP+ !! :smile:

Oly_air_with_40-150.

I am not at all sure I would find this a desireable set-up, but man, you gotta give Olympus credit for showing something fun and creative! Nikon and Canon in comparison are boring and conservative, really stuck in the past and out of touch with what many of their customers may really want. I guess Olympus can be thankful that Nikon and Canon are so clueless and tepid in their mirrorless offerings. That will certainly not last forever, but no sign of a change any time soon. See this piece on dpreview.

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They were also showing off an E-M5IITi... not sure whether they'll get any interest but hey.

3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank

I thought this looked like a stunningly good idea... essentially a body-less camera that you could build a little cage of grips and accessories around without it looking like an ARRIFlex... But apparently they're not done yet... The API to access the camera is going to be open-source. I'm just guessing that the latest additions to the 43rds consortium have something to do with using that new Oly camera.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    This little statement intrigues me. In the halcyon days of 35mm SLRs, pre-AF, Olympus had some pretty nice metering and lens tech. In some cases it was ahead of what Canon and Nikon were offering. In those days, metering tech was actually a defining selling point. That still didn't help Olympus surpass the big N or big C in market penetration. I remember the Olympus display being so lonely. Lots of lenses and the OM-4ti and OM-3ti on display, but nary a customer to be seen. They were all hanging around the Canon and Nikon displays ... :-(

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, if Olympus can figure out how to beat Panasonic on 4K, that could be a pretty nice little production video camera body.

7. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Can you elaborate on that? I hate to be cynical, but I do not see an advantage with that particular setup versus a traditional camera. With all that bulk, surely size is not the justification? Using a small prime OTOH, I can see why some would be drawn to this kind of camera to pair with a smartphone.

Also, I am not sure Olympus gets points for creativity since Sony already came to market with this product (last year?).

8. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    From what I remember, the shape and design wasn't the key point, but rather the open API anyone could obtain to develop applications for it.
    A few "microscopers" I've been talking to are already salivating over it as a digitizing solution for older/obscure microscopes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    When I first saw that picture on the rumors site I thought that it looked like space ray gun. It does look it could, also, be a nice rig.

10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Olympus made some of the most important advances in 35mm camera technolgy, but no one was interested until Nikon took it up 3 years later. Most of my photo friends at the time had been brainwashed into thinking that to be really "serious" you had to shoot a big mother of a Nikon. I never quite got it. The OM-3 and OM-4 were brilliantly conceived cameras - not to mention my beloved OM-1 . It took me years to afford a 4, and I still haven't got my hands on a 3, which was my dream oh so many years ago. Olympus' camera division has always marched to a different drummer and been very innovative. It's just that the innovations ( sensor dust removal, anyone? when Canikon nazis were convinced it was a flash in pan trick??) weren't appreciated until the gorillas with big propaganda budgets (also known as advertising budgets) copied the idea.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peakbagr

Peakbagr New to Mu-43

Jan 14, 2015
    "It took me years to afford a 4, and I still haven't got my hands on a 3"....My OM-1 and OM-3 have been languishing in the closet for years. Did I ever adore those cameras.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That sort of design can have many advantages, especially for videographers, who rarely use the viewfinder and prefer an external screen. The entire thing becomes a modular camera, now where and when have I heard about people dreaming of a modular camera? ;)

• Like Like x 2