1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Give me a good reason...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by deviate2112, Jun 25, 2014.

1. deviate2112

deviate2112 New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2013
    Oak Park, Michigan
    Mike
    Ok, a little background;
    I'm a 40 something year old who has lots of $$ hobbies, my wife and I have no children and love to travel. I'm been an avid photog for going on 20 years, mostly shooting street scenes, architecture, outdoor landscaping...but very little sports or action. I've gone the big two route, having various Canon and Nikon cameras with their L glass and vr lenses respectively. When the OM-D Em5 came out I sold off my Canon and L lenses and jump both feet to Olympus. I acquired a nice kit from Fisheye to tele...a few primes etc...I absolutely love the size and the fact that I could bring my entire kit along with me just about everywhere...but I did have some issues....indoors....that was a biggie. My Wife is a powerlifter and I took my kit with me on one of her meets. The EM5 focus hunted more then my Canon T5i...I missed quite a few shots even with my 17mm prime. I was a little bummed but still loved the small form factor....when I heard the OM-D EM-1 was going to be released I took a preemptive strike and sold my EM-5 and a couple lenses to try and offset the added cost....well long story short...we bought a house...the camera money went to a new dedicated theater in my basement...so a year later and I'm about ready to pull the trigger again....I'm just having a hard time justifying $1300 for the M1...you can get a Full sensor Canon or Nikon on the used market for that kind of bank....or even go back to a T5i and have money for a couple nice lenses...

So my peeps....tell me I should pony up for the M1....or just go back to the EM5 and have $$ left to re buy some primes....

2. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Your wife's a powerlifter.

That's reason enough I would imagine. :wink:

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    One BIG issue with the high MP FF cameras. They need the good glass. You might have started to see some of the results with your 5Ti if you pixel peeped depending on the glass you were using. For a D610 or D800 (I shoot Nikon) you need really good glass (DX D7100 as well). There are only about 2-3 lenses I can think of that I would use that are UNDER $1000. Several I have or would use are closer to or well above $2000.

How are those for reasons?

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If you don't mind the size and weight of a full frame system and have the money to buy good lenses for it as davidzvi mentions above then I see no reason not to go with a 5DII for he same price as an E-M1. Your wife is a power lifter - make her carry it.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You shouldn't have sold the E-M5..... the missed AF shots were almost certainly a settings issue more than camera limitations.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I would go back to the EM5 if you want to get back into the m43 game, or if you want to go full frame, I recommend a used Nikon D700.

7. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Try it - you can always sell it later if it's not right for you.

The E-M1 is awesome in may situations - not all

I found it 100 times easier to travel with it versus my DSLR
    the DSLR won though for sports action shots

all depends on your usage

• Like Like x 1
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Does size matter to you? :biggrin: What glass would you buy for a FF body? Have you considered refurbished? The 20% off refurbished sale at Olympus ends tonight, but will probably come around again in a month or two.

Walk up to Woodward, have a fresh hot bagel, think it over. And while you are there, pack up some yummy bagels, caraway rounds, and salt sticks and send them my way. This will surely bring you good karma!

Seriously, do the Oly bodies and glass offer something that you cannot get from Nikon or Canon?

--Ken

9. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Have you considered an E-M10? Think of it as a refined E-M5 with some of the new goodies in the E-M1. 3-axis v/s 5-axis IBIS is not a big difference. And there will be money left over for the 12-40 or primes.

10. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Possibly he was using the 17mm 2.8 pancake...? Those are pretty bad at focus hunting. I shoot in very dim light regularly with the 17/1.8, and it's never failed me.

11. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    One thing I've learned about cameras in the past 30 years of shooting is that there is no perfect camera for every situation nor one for every photographer.

Like other things in life, every single camera is a compromise and it depends on the photographer and the kind of photography that dictates which compromises are acceptable and which aren't. This is one reason why many photographer own more than just one camera or system.

For me, at the current moment, I own only three cameras. I shoot full frame with a Canon 5D Mk.II, cropped sensor with an Olympus OMD EM1 as well as a compact camera with a Ricoh GR Digital III. Each one has it's pros and cons and depending on the situation, each one can be superior to the other for that situation. With that said, I'm planning on buying two more cameras before the end of the year.

As for the hunting AF issue you had, it's hard to comment on whether it was photographer error or camera error without more details. Personally, I find the EM1 AF on static or slow moving objects with decent light to be as fast and positive as my Canon.

Before buying any camera, I think you have to evaluate and prioritize what it is you want out of the camera. Things such as image quality, high ISO performance, AF performance, low light performance, suitability of camera for the type of photography, size, weight, sensor size, RAW vs JPEG (will you be post processing), ergonomics, haptics, build quality, OVF vs EVF, etc... At least for me, there's a lot to think about when I decide to purchase a new camera and each camera I buy has a specific purpose as to how and what it's going to be used for.

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Totally agree. I was going to say the same thing. Many ways around this and with the 17 esp, that shouldn't happen. Get an EM5 and 75mm. You can use the auto focus assist light, but even without, that shouldn't be a big issue 95% of the time.

13. deviate2112

deviate2112 New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2013
    Oak Park, Michigan
    Mike
    Nope, I was using the 1.8, I think part of the problem is it was indoor actions shots...could've been a setting although I had thought I set it up correctly....

If I went FF or back to the Evil masters (canon or nikon) I'd be investing in quality glass....but the same thing can be said for M4/3...you pay $$ for quality either way.

My biggest issue is a "perceived value" I'm paying $1400 or $1100 for refurb...Em-1 for the connivence of the small form factor not because it's a better camera or takes better looking pictures? I could easily go with a Nikon D5300 and a decent prime for less...but again...it's a big chunk of plastic...

14. deviate2112

deviate2112 New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2013
    Oak Park, Michigan
    Mike
    And then I have this issue of...I want the best..."how can I get the em-M10 when the M1 is better..."

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you are only concerned about the sensor, then make your decision accordngly. Much of the cost of the E-M1, just like the higher end Nikon models, is about access, control and build quality. The sensor is a D7100 is not much different than the sensor in a lower level Nikon model of the same resolution, but you give up a lot of features. I was not happy about the price of the E-M1 in comparison to other Olympus 16MP bodies, but then again, I paid a lot more for my D300 when I purchased it back in 2008. Camera makers charge a premium for buttons and build quality (i.e. features), just like many other consumer goods manufacturers. A base level Honda is pretty similar to a fully loaded model when it comes to much of the mechanicals. Only you can decide what features you are willing to purchase at the going rate. I recently picked up a refurbished E-M1, and am really enjoying it. I shot with an E-PL5 for a year because it had the same sensor that was used in the E-M5 and E-P5, but the shooting experience was just not the same. The E-M1 handles much better in my hands, and shots can be had much quicker when minor setting adjustments are needed. I am not saying that you cannot be quick with a model like an E-PL5, but it is a different design with a different end goal. An E-M1 does not easily fit into a jacket pocket pocket with a pancake lens, so choose what works best for you.

Good luck,

--Ken

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The E-M1 is a very solid, comfortable camera. Quite a bit nicer than the E-M5 in terms of handling; the image quality for most situations is a wash, real world, thanks to the IBIS. I don't really shoot action so I can't comment on that, but the AF for static subjects is more accurate and faster than my Canon gear was (a 5DII which has a very capable center AF point, but the downside of PDAF - lens calibration and such). The size is a major selling point of course, but I would not hesitate to put it up head to head against pretty much any APS-C camera.

17. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You want good glass - well the 12-40 is a reason all by itself, this is a really good lens. Put it on an E-M1 and you have a good quality light, small system.