1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Giulio Sciorio GX8 review

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DeeJayK, Jul 22, 2015.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Giulio Sciorio recently posted his thoughts on the new GX8 consisting of a First Look and then a follow up after taking the camera on vacation.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Interesting... this is not the first review I've seen where they say "the GX8 is really great, but the G7 is a true gem as far as value for the money". The CameraStore video review said the same thing. Its making me want to put my hands on a G7 and test it.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Scorio works for Panasonic. Hardly an unbiased reviewer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Well, same as reading a Robin Wong review on an Olympus product. Great to see the good points about the product, just not so useful when you want to hear about the warts.

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree. And stating Giulio "works for Panasonic" might be a bit strong. This implies he derives most of his income directly from Panasonic, which I don't believe is the case. He's a professional photographer and blogger who was an early-adopter of Panasonic cameras and "hybrid" photography (I sort of hate that term). It's true he's a "Lumix Luminary" which I interpret to mean he gets some compensation (in the form of money, equipment, support and/or "exposure") from Panasonic in exchange for providing input on their products (which he mentions in the review), possibly attending some events and doing some training and to some degree "evangelizing" the brand.

He doesn't necessarily present his thoughts and opinions as a "review" (perhaps I should not have used that term) and he only glancingly compares the GX8 to non-Panasonic products. I think he provides useful information in the video and articles particularly for GX7 owners or those considering the G7. As with anything, the consumer should consider the source and weight the opinions accordingly.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Oops, my bad. I assumed all were video reviews, which are fine but not for when I'm at work. ;)

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    No harm in it. I realize it wasn't really clear where my links led.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If he does take money from Panasonic, then I'm amazed how critical he was of it - esp recommending the G7 instead!

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Who knows, maybe the margins on the G7 are better and so he's been instructed by his corporate overlords to push that model. Or maybe they're afraid the G7's they've already produced will languish on store shelves now that that GX8 is announced. :p

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oh dear... Worse than the E-M5ii

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The samples available to the press right now are software version 0.2. Any site claiming the images from this camera represent what will be available to consumers is misleading at best.

13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It's 'Sciorio'

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Fixed. Thanks.

Between trying to remember whether its I before U or U before I in his first name, getting all the vowels right in his last name seems to push the limits of my ability. :blush:

15. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes, I wonder if his father had a wry sense of humour. Or a lilting Irish tone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    It's the same thing as Zack Arias who is not employed by Fuji but is sponsored by them. He's never been shy to advocate his love for the X100 series but also says he likes the X-T1 but doesn't love it as well as his love/hate relationship with the X-Pro1. Both cameras which are higher up on the Fuji ladder.

These guys aren't on the payroll but rather get compensated with free gear, free travel in return for seminar or photo work related to Fuji, sponsored videos and other "perks". Their role is as an evangelist for the brand and not necessarily for any one product..

17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I would like to see production camera RAWs converted in Adobe Camera RAW, now that it is officially supported.

DPReview's comparator is usually the best place to look for at least vaguely scientific comparisons in my experience. Breaking things down to a number the way DXO does removes any sense at all of the true character of the noise.

18. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    +1 Taking Giulio's word with a grain a salt. He obviously has links to panasonic and generally paints panasonic in a favourable light. I would also take people like robin wong's review with a grain of salt as well. And others as well.

I find most reviewers who get an early copy of a lense or camera for review, usually have to be careful about saying negative things. I find they usually have to highlight what the manufacturer want's them to highlight. If they don't, I suspect they don't get any more early copies to review (or get dropped off their payroll).