1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Gitzo tripod for OM-D

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jmw, Sep 22, 2012.

1. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Are the series 1 tripods strong enough for the OM-D assuming the biggest lens I'd put on it is the 100-300mm or maybe the future Pana 150mm? A lot of tripod recs say to start with the series 2 but they were written with a FF DSLR user in mind.

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have the Gitzo GT1580QR, which is the GT1541 tripod + GH1780QR ball-head kit. I use it a lot with my GH2. My longest lens on it is usually a legacy lens, a Minolta MD 75-150/4 and the tripod is solid enough for that, my pics are critically sharp almost all of the time, even at 150mm. I think it won't function well in strong winds, but I never experienced that so far. Longer lenses become a bit of a challenge, a Minolta 200/4 has to be handled carefully and the pics are not always pinsharp. A Minolta 100-300/5.6 is definitely out of its league, probably because of its length which makes the whole setup front-heavy; the lens doesn't have a tripod mount.

I also use it for making pictures of mushrooms and therefore I use a Minolta MD Macro 100/4 with the GH2 on the same tripod. These pics are superbly sharp, so the tripod is obviously up to this task.

I suspect that the GH2's shutter vibration also adds to unsharpness with longer lenses, I'll know for sure as soon as I get a G5 or GH3 :smile:.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    That makes me wonder if I wouldn't be happier with the 2531. According to your Minolta collection page, the 200mm f/4 is 400g, where the Pana 100-300mm is 520g. The weight and size difference are pretty small between the 1531 and 2531. On the other hand, I don't even own the 100-300mm and only rent it on occasion so I don't know if I want to pay the extra cost to only use it occasionally.

4. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I must admit that my OM D looks really silly on a 3 series with an Arca Cube, but I wouldn't go less than a 2 series. I have just dug out an old 2 series which I think will do the job well with an Arca D4,

5. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    I've been wondering about this as well, I have a 1325 and an 1127, both older models. The 1325 stays for commercial work, but I will be selling the 1127. I was planning on the 5 section version of the 1580 as I want something as small as possible that will only be used in decent shooting conditions.

Like Jeff mentioned above, my borrowed GH2 looked pretty silly when mounted on the Gitzo 1227 and Markins Ballhead.

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    the larger/heavier tripod is recommended primarily based on intended focal length usage, not necessarily the weight you will be putting on it. a larger tripod will have better dampening characteristics. also, I used to have a gitzo but now have a feisol and am equally pleased with its build quality (far about half the price)...have you looked at the feisol brand at all?

7. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Allan
    I have not considered Feisol, but I will take a look, a good friend has one and he really likes it. Like you, also sold his Gitzo and went to Feisol. I won't use anything longer than about 200mm (400 on ยต43). I want folded around 40cm, and a max height of somewhere around 150cm. Only will be used when travelling.

I'm also looking at some of the Chinese knock-off's on ebay, if they're anything like the fake Manfrotto (different name, just a total knockoff) that I brought back from Korea for a friend, then I would consider one of those as well. It was really well made.

8. Hoop99

Hoop99 New to Mu-43

Oct 31, 2012
    If the Panny 100-300 is your main concern, you might want to consider this lens collar.

Currently, I only have a cheapo Slik tripod, but my E-M5/100-300 set up is noticeably more stable with the addition of the lens collar.

The collar cost 74 Euro, shipping to South Korea included, and took about a week by Deutsche Post.

Also, I'm looking at replacing the Slik with a Photo Clam. Photo Clam's ballheads are well respected, and they have some good looking tripods, too. Priced very reasonably here in Korea; not sure what they cost elsewhere.

There are a couple of fairly in-depth reviews of Photo Clam tripods by Path-Tech over on YouTube.