Gitzo 2-series tripod or 75 1.8

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by lombardispot, Sep 26, 2013.

1. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    I'm deciding between a tripod or a 75 1.8.

Do Olympus users need tripods when we have the fancy 5-Axis IBIS? :smile:

Well, I do need some way to take family photos that include myself in it. And I don't want to hand it to someone who is going to snap the photo with the most horrific cropping ever imagined. Perhaps with the iPhone app I can direct them to frame properly. :rolleyes:

But I don't know if I really need it for architecture and landscape when the image stabilization, the DOF at large aperature, and the low noise are all working to eliminate the need for a tripod.

2. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Why are you considering a $900 tripod for family shots? I'd get the 75mm and a more affordable tripod.

• Like Like x 3
  3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Because cameras come and go but tripods are forever. I have a 2 and 3 series Gitzo CF tripod. I have changed the heads on them and had a plethora of cameras on them but the tripod legs are still there. Gitzo is expensive, no argument but they are excellent.

For landscape, they are a necessity if you are serious about framing and composition. I just can't see myself not using a tripod.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    One rule I have learned more often than I care to admit: Do not buy cheap tools.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Affordable doesn't equal cheap.
    There are a ton of options well under $900 that would likely fit Lombardispot's needs and allow for the lens as well.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    The 75 will give you and your family way more pleasure than any tripod !!!!

We'll in my opinion anyway

K

7. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    That's my philosophy too. I prefer to spend more and get something that will be good for a lifetime. Maybe It's worth finding a used one from someone that is upgrading from a 2-series.

8. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    I do prefer to get the higher quality item that will cover a lifetime of photographic needs no matter the camera I use. I suspect that I will be sticking to lighter camera systems like the 4/3rds, but I read an article that explains that the 1-series is still susceptable to wind vibration and I would prefer a tripod that would not rattle under wind.

Family photography would be a primary activity, but I definitely plan to do architecture. Landscapes would be an occasional activity.

9. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    The more I look at the 75 1.8 photos on flickr, the more I feel like putting off a tripod. But perhaps I'll manage to get both and let my wallet suffer for short term. I tend to think, if I'm eventually going to get both, then I should just get them both right away and enjoy using them, instead of putting it off.

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I had a Gitzo basalt tripod previously (which was great if a little heavier), now own a Fiesol CF tripod and it is top notch, 95% the quality of gitzo at half the cost.

11. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    So I picked up the em-1 Friday from Keeble and Schuchat and made the mistake of trying out the 75 1.8. Looks like the tripod will have to wait. :) I'm going to have some fun shooting photos handheld. :)

12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    On average I lose approximately one tripod a year (last one left in a taxi a month ago). This doesnt sound much like a lifetime commitment to me.

13. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    If you are using a heavy lens, then YES.

14. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Nobody is likely to keep a tripod for a lifetime unless they're getting near the end of the road or nobody wants the darn thing. I have a great Gitzo tripod from the 1980s. It's rock steady and built like a tank but I don't ever want to carry that thing past my driveway and nobody wants to buy a tripod the same weight as a bazooka. Tripod and head technology, albeit not as fast paced as cameras, has come a long way in 30 years and I suspect firms like RRS and Acratech will keep us upgrading many fold over until we be pushing up daisies.

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    True enough. My carbon Benro Travel Flat is a great tripod/monopod at under $400. I also have a Gitzo 3-series bought on Craigslist for $60 that just needed some cosmetics and paint. The original NJ TiltAlls go for a song and are as good as anything I have. (Anybody want one? I have two!)

16. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Priceless! I love chickens!:2thumbs:

17. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Based on price and quality, I would get an Induro CF before a Gitzo Mountaineer CF any day of the week. My 3 series Gitzo Systematic is great, but the Induro are very high quality and much cheaper than the Gitzo.

18. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    Good choice on the Lens. I also would advise against the Gitzo tripod if it's main use was for casual shooting.

There are more budget friendly ones that are pretty good alternatives.

I have been using. Gitzo myself and has seen many places and earned it's battle scars. The reason I got the 1540T was because I needed a sturdy and very light weight tripod for traveling and for my landscape shooting... :)

Tapatalk.

19. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I keep a Manfrotto tabletop tripod with a tiny Novoflex head in my bag. I can always find a place to put the tripod (well, almost :)).

Used to have a carbon high-end tripod with a good head, but rarely used it. Love my 75 ...