Girls High School Soccer

Roboticspro

Shepherding photons since the 50's
Good Afternoon,

I didn't see a thread on this topic so I thought I might give it a go. This was my first outing with my new M1X, and I am pretty pleased so far. I normally used Canon 1D Mark IV's with 135mm f2L and 70-200mm f2.8L series in the past years. There is a learning curve coming from the Canon gear but it isn't that bad. The Zuiko 40-150mm 2.8 was a breeze to use and gave me great coverage.

Regards,

Edd

MA-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
MR-1.jpg
MB-1.jpg
Crew-1.jpg

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Your goal shot is normally hard for me to do, because of the distance to the goal from where I am. But yours came out well. :thumbup:

I see you have a DARK background also.
What exposure setting do you use?
I usually shoot in M mode, because of the DARK background.

Roboticspro

Your goal shot is normally hard for me to do, because of the distance to the goal from where I am. But yours came out well. :thumbup:

I see you have a DARK background also.
What exposure setting do you use?
I usually shoot in M mode, because of the DARK background.
Hi,

I have always used manual settings for night sports and in this case, 1/800 @ f2.8 @ ISO 3200. I did notice more noise from the u4/3rd's gear compared to my 1D Mark IV, but nothing that is unreasonable. Shooting and pushing Tri-X back in the 70's was WAY worse than this! I might look into some of the denoise software to give it a try. Also, I used low-speed (10 fps) electronic shutter and 5-spot C-AF without tracking.

Regards,

Edd

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Thanks for sharing. As for the noise, please download the PhotoLab software free trial (but full capabilities) from DXO and try their DEEP Prime noise reduction. It may just surprise you how much color returns along with the reduction of noise.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I used to use the e-shutter for sports, but learned that the mechanical-shutter has less noise at high ISO levels. I did validate this in the gym.
So I now shoot with the mechanical shutter at night or in the gym. During the day, I still use the e-shutter, for the faster frame rate, and less wear on the shutter.
However, on the football field, my experience is that it is harder to see the noise.

My field exposure was 1/800 sec, f/4, ISO 6400. So it seems that our fields are similarly illuminated.
This year, I've had to drop to a slower shutter speed, so I suspect the lights are aging and getting dimmer.

Yeah I remember pushing Tri-X to 1200, with IFFY results. :(
Those were NOT the good old days.

I usually use single point AF with C-AF, as I often thread shots between players, so zone AF does not work for me.

Roboticspro

Thanks for sharing. As for the noise, please download the PhotoLab software free trial (but full capabilities) from DXO and try their DEEP Prime noise reduction. It may just surprise you how much color returns along with the reduction of noise.
Thanks for the info...I will try a few out to see which might work best from RAW files and the actual throughput rate...:drinks:

Roboticspro

I used to use the e-shutter for sports, but learned that the mechanical-shutter has less noise at high ISO levels. I did validate this in the gym.
So I now shoot with the mechanical shutter at night or in the gym. During the day, I still use the e-shutter, for the faster frame rate, and less wear on the shutter.
However, on the football field, my experience is that it is harder to see the noise.

My field exposure was 1/800 sec, f/4, ISO 6400. So it seems that our fields are similarly illuminated.
This year, I've had to drop to a slower shutter speed, so I suspect the lights are aging and getting dimmer.

Yeah I remember pushing Tri-X to 1200, with IFFY results. :(
Those were NOT the good old days.

I usually use single point AF with C-AF, as I often thread shots between players, so zone AF does not work for me.
There is probably a reference standard (benchmark) that is used for secondary schools with regard to field illumination levels. Nothing close to "daytime at Gillette" when the Patriots take the field in Foxborough (MA); that place is unreal.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There is probably a reference standard (benchmark) that is used for secondary schools with regard to field illumination levels. Nothing close to "daytime at Gillette" when the Patriots take the field in Foxborough (MA); that place is unreal.

I dunno.
Last year I shot a football game at another school.
Their field was 1 to 1-1/2 stops dimmer than mine/yours. YUK!!!
A teacher told that was one of the oldest fields, so the lighting was probably of an older dimmer technology.

You have me thinking now.
I think I will have to go to some of the away games, to document the lighting at some of the other schools.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well it is STORMING here now.
That is a hint from mother nature of what is likely to happen, once the winter sport season (including soccer) begins.

I remember seeing the rain blowing horizontal. :eek:
Then I turned around and went back into the dry gym, to shoot basketball.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom