GIMP: Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Djarum, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So I use GIMP a fair amount, in windows. It's free and does the job I need it to do most of the time. It really doesn't have a good built in noise reduction plugin. I have used NDNoise with decent success, but it is a standalone **** program. I ran across this plugin for GIMP:

Wavelet denoise | GIMP Plugin Registry

The nice thing with it is it allows noise to be reduced in Y, Cr, and Cb channels independently. It also has a "detail" setting which really tells the algorithm what type of noise to reduce, high or low frequency noise, per channel.

I took some Imaging Resource shots that were converted to JPEG from RAW for the E-P3 and ran them through the process and compared to the standard JPEG output. I was much suprised at how well the plugin works compared to the in-camera noise reduction algorithms.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Nice find Djarum. I'm a Gimp fan as well. Hope we get 16bit/channel support soon, but from their schedule it'll be a while away I fear.

3. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yes 16 bit would be nice.

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. Djarum

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I personally don't care how as long as it does a good job and it is customizeable. I think wavelet based is better than just a standard Gaussian blur type. I was looking at G'MIC which has patch based(Tikhonov flow type) NR and also anisotropic smoothing with customizable options as well.

The thing I like about both this wavelet plug in and the G'MIC plug in is I can choose the channels that I want to reduce noise in.

6. WolfBane

WolfBane Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Hi,

old thread I know, but...tried GMIC under GIMP as I was testing out my new Olympus E-PM1 at ISO 3200.

Before (click for bigger version):

6776694825_3cca1f6487_z.

After (click for bigger version).

Copied layer, then:
    GMIC Enhancement-->Anisotropic Smoothing, (on lightness channel b) then
    GMIC Enhancement-->Octave Sharpening (on lightness channel).

Seemed to work OK as a quick test:

6776694859_15d76906f5_z.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.