1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GIMP: Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Djarum, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So I use GIMP a fair amount, in windows. It's free and does the job I need it to do most of the time. It really doesn't have a good built in noise reduction plugin. I have used NDNoise with decent success, but it is a standalone **** program. I ran across this plugin for GIMP:

Wavelet denoise | GIMP Plugin Registry

The nice thing with it is it allows noise to be reduced in Y, Cr, and Cb channels independently. It also has a "detail" setting which really tells the algorithm what type of noise to reduce, high or low frequency noise, per channel.

I took some Imaging Resource shots that were converted to JPEG from RAW for the E-P3 and ran them through the process and compared to the standard JPEG output. I was much suprised at how well the plugin works compared to the in-camera noise reduction algorithms.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Nice find Djarum. I'm a Gimp fan as well. Hope we get 16bit/channel support soon, but from their schedule it'll be a while away I fear.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yes 16 bit would be nice.

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I personally don't care how as long as it does a good job and it is customizeable. I think wavelet based is better than just a standard Gaussian blur type. I was looking at G'MIC which has patch based(Tikhonov flow type) NR and also anisotropic smoothing with customizable options as well.

The thing I like about both this wavelet plug in and the G'MIC plug in is I can choose the channels that I want to reduce noise in.

6. WolfBane

WolfBane Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Hi,

old thread I know, but...tried GMIC under GIMP as I was testing out my new Olympus E-PM1 at ISO 3200.

Before (click for bigger version):

6776694825_3cca1f6487_z.

After (click for bigger version).

Copied layer, then:
    GMIC Enhancement-->Anisotropic Smoothing, (on lightness channel b) then
    GMIC Enhancement-->Octave Sharpening (on lightness channel).

Seemed to work OK as a quick test:

6776694859_15d76906f5_z.