Ghosting - which lenses have least problems?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by gobears, May 10, 2010.

1. gobears

gobears New to Mu-43

May 10, 2010
    Recently I purchased an Olympus E-pl1 and love the camera so far. I am now very tempted to add some legacy lenses, but have read reports about "ghosting" and "halos" due to extra light bouncing around the cavity. Here are 2 links which talk about the problem:

biofos.com: Using OM legacy lenses on Olympus E-P1.

Gary Ayton photography Olympus OM lenses for your Micro Four Thirds or Canon

I am particularly interested in buying Konica Hexanon and Contax G mount lenses. However, will I be able to use them wide open and get the full performance out of these lenses? Or, will I have to live with limitations, and if so, what limitations?

Thanks so much for any feedback
    :2thumbs:!

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a lot of these 'limitations' - which are real- depend on just what you are trying to achieve. Personally I recognise that they exist in some situations, but often the benefits of lens speed or interesting 'look' outweigh any deficiencies

Konica lenses have a strong rep as do the the Contax G lenses though I have heard that the focussing of the latter is a bit of a pain. I have neither of those leses - though i do have access to a lot of legacy lenses that i use on my 4/3 and micro 4/3

you can see examples here - i take photos that satisfy me - I care more about the quality of the image as opposed to image quality

Legacy lenses - a set on Flickr

3. gobears

gobears New to Mu-43

May 10, 2010
    Those are some great shots, especially like the B&W of the couple walking in a crowd.

The thing I am trying to achieve is get a sharp, fast, lightweight prime at 50mm and at 90-100mm. That is what attracted me to the Contax 90mm F2.8, as its only 200g. However, to spend $200+ for it, I want to understand what I am giving up. Maybe the Contax will have less issues with ghosting because it was designed for a rangefinder, with a closer lens arrangement than SLR?

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thank you

My understanding is that the Contax G lenses don't have a focus ring due to being designed for an autofocus body. Its my undertanding that the adapters have a fiddly little lever to do the focus.. maybe some contax g users could confirm this

K

5. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    As an owner of Contax G lenses (and two types of adapters), my advice would be not to get involved with these lenses as your first pieces of legacy glass.

You won't be happy.

In my case, I already owned two G lenses, so fiddling with adapters was not a bad move (plus I like to fiddle).

I might look at some of the Contax CZ Distagons in the C/Y mount if you want some quality optics.

Just an opinion.

R