1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ghosting/Hazy with Canon FD 300mm F/4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dwrz, Apr 6, 2011.

1. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    I just got mine today in the mail. Stopped down it works great, but at larger apertures, it seems to be hazy or ghosting. Is there something wrong with the lens, or is this to be expected? This is my first long telephoto.

2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Hi. Are you using a hood? when using my Jupiter 37Am which is 135mm, I always have to use the hood outdoors, otherwise the photos are absolutely out of contrast and definition.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Can you post some samples?

4. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    It's almost 2000/8PM here, so I can't really tell. But I'll check at first light to see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

5. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    I'll try to get some samples tomorrow. My test shots were all out my window to the courtyard. I didn't have any direct light sources in the way. The best way to describe it would be as if the lens was seeing slightly double. :\

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Yes, test would be good. If you were shooting through window glass, that can be the cause--telephoto lenses just accentuate the imperfections in the glass.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    Interesting. I'll see if shooting through the window will also help resolve the problem.

8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    No, no. I meant if you were shooting through the window glass it could be the source of your problem--it will never help. Sorry if I was not clear...

9. dwrz

dwrz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2010
    Sorry-- it was I that was not clear! I meant opening it and shooting out of it with no glass in the way.

Update: no need for samples. It was the window glass. Very strange.