Ghost Town - Chesterfield, Idaho

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Tenpenny, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Decided against flooding the Decay Thread, so just making this post. ;)

Chesterfield is a ghost town in Caribou County, Idaho. Founded in 1881 and made a good run as an agricultural town until the 1930s. Like many western towns, the railroad (or lack of) put an end to it.

25487418373_be8e8da671_h.

26090819405_b6dbe9e96c_h.

26064904196_244779f20b_h.

25817991220_6bc79466ad_h.

25488210113_373b0badbc_h. r

26064863726_3c3b12b420_h.

26024456201_a7c323c0a8_h.

25998327792_5094ae68b5_h.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25488256983_f811f9f5b5_h.

25817974590_6d144c6820_h.

26090810245_656f6ecc03_h.

The town is wonderfully preserved and in a constant state of restoration. During the main visiting season there is access to the inside of many of the buildings and tours are given, often by the decedents of the original families that settled in Chesterfield. All of the aforementioned, makes it sound like a bit of a tourist trap but, that couldn't be further from the truth. It's very easy to visit with few other people around and you feel as if you've stepped back in time.

On the day we visited, we were the only people there. Of course, it was an Idaho Spring day, meaning we cycled between snow, rain, wind and bluebird skies. As we were visiting outside of the normal season tours weren't available. We had a set of grandparents and kids running around so photo time was a bit rushed and limited. This is just the tip of the iceberg, there are many many intact buildings at the location that I just didn't get around to photographing.

Here are a couple links. Wikipeida and a little article

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 40
    • Winner Winner x 7
  2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Another one added to the list :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Totally worth it. I love finding these little known places. Weelllll, everybody in SE Idaho knows about this place. But, that's only like 5 or 6 people. ;) I think Autumn would be the best time to hit this place. The hills on the drive into Gem Valley are covered with Aspen trees and they put on quite a display that time of year for an added photo bonus.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    We've been to a bunch in E-OR where my wife's family homesteaded. Will combine this one with Red Rock Pass, site of Lake Bonneville overflow. Did not have time for this and City of Rocks when we came through in May.

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Nice shots. I'd love to visit places like this. I briefly drove though SE Idaho (Burlington/Bear lake?) years ago and looked pretty, but didn't have time to further explore, but would like to return. Sites like this are wonderful to see when you live in the crowded east coast.

6. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Sounds like a fantastic trip! I'm envious. My Wife, kids and I are all struggling to come to some sort of agreement on our "Big Summer Trip" We'll get it all hammered out I'm sure. I'm hoping it involves some flavor of beach tho!

7. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Beach...
    yawning_80_anim_. sleepy_80_anim_.

...I go every day. We head to the desert. :)

8. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Yeah, you were pretty close to this place when you went through. I really didn't appreciate my time on the East Coast properly (young n dumb at the time) You definitely have much there that we don't have here. I'm a bit of a history buff and can't wait for my next opportunity to vacation on the East Coast. See some sites other then the closest bar to the head of the pier lol.

9. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins

LMAO rub it in why don't ya!

10. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Trips to Silver City are required once annually by my kids lol. And I would love to take a crack at getting some decent photos of that place. I always end up failing at that. Maybe this will be my year! I thought you were headed up that way this year too?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Ditto! Love the juicy center during the Summer.

You're making the right choice. Owyhees shine in the Spring. It's worth the sacrifice of missing Silver City if needed.

12. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins

June is usually a pretty safe bet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Absolutley stunning images :clapping: Rich and detailed - FF quality , Leica like 3D Pop , Fuji like colors and marvalleous photography :2thumbs:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Wow, Thanks! I'm really trying to workin on my post processing. I still tend to get slider happy most of the time. I tried to show a bit of restraint on these lol. Thanks a million.

15. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I love the last snow in the background of some of these shots. Makes for great atmosphere in these pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Yeah, it really added to the atmosphere in person too.

17. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    yeah, the color tones are just great. I've only checked exif on a couple, were they all Em-10 with 12-40? Fantastic results.

wagon wheel shot is my fav (interesting that its "only" 15mm, i'd have guessed 12mm) , and i love the vintage color in the sewing machine shot.

18. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Thanks Jason. Yep, they were all shot with the M10 and the O12-40. It was more of a family outing so, I didn't have the full kit and the kids would have probably put up some resistance to my taking time for lens changes etc lol I definitely want to return again with more time and the full kit. Probably in the Fall.

The sewing machine was in one of the abandoned houses that hadn't gone under restoration and was therefore sorta open to the elements, including me. Lots of cool little goodies in there to take pictures of. But, per my standard operating procedure I messed up all the shots of the cool stuff but the sewing machine. There was a really rad cast iron cooking stove in there with the old pots, pans and kettle on. but yeah.. i suck and blubbed the shot. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Brent -Fabulous! My favorites are 2 and 3. The structures are a bit different than I've seen.

20. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Thanks! The town really does have a sense of uniqueness. I'm not educated or experienced enough to put my finger on how exactly it is different but, it definitely has a different feel than the other ghost towns in the region. More orderly than the mining ghost towns, yet more free formed than typical LDS pioneer towns.

• Useful Useful x 1