GH6 available for preorder

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
It looks like at least one Australian site and some Dutch sites.

Would you preorder one without the specs or details? If it were on my radar, I would as long as the deposit is refundable.

https://www.43rumors.com/camerapro-is-already-accepting-preorders-on-the-gh6/

I see some information has been posted.
https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/lumix/g/gh6.html
Combining the high-speed sensor and Venus Engine image processor, the new GH6 realizes next-generation video expression. Providing 4:2:2 10-bit DCI 4K/60p recording capability*2, the LUMIX GH6 achieves unlimited video recording when the camera is used under the certified operating temperature*3. It is reliable enough to record continuous footage for a desired duration. It also provides a 10-bit 4K 120p High Frame Rate (HFR) and Variable Frame Rate (VFR) for high resolution slow/quick motion video. Moreover, the GH6 records 10-bit 5.7K 60p video by taking full advantage of the newly developed Micro Four Thirds sensor. Accommodating a variety of recording modes and shooting assist functions, the GH6 enables photo/video hybrid-use for various purposes including films, music videos, documentaries and short clips for social media to meet the creators’ needs.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
So it is pretty save to say Panasonic will indeed launch the GH6 next week, not only tease it again. One of the mentioned Dutch shops, Kamera Express, is also operating in Germany, they also have a pre-order offer here, you have to pay EUR 100 as a fee, no actual price has been mentioned.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I’m more likely to consider an ‘Olympus’ with a similar sensor which looks like a possibility on the same launch date next week ?
Last info is they intend to announce some details. I don't think a launch date is set yet, but I would think soon.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
This teaser accompanied the release of the GH5M2 back in May.

It strikes me as an odd move: "here's our new camera that you can buy today, but if you hold off a bit we've got something else way cooler on the way."

- K
Placeholder to keep interest. the 5II is situated to give you an excellent video camera at a much lower price.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I agree, the GH5 Mark II was released to give Panasonic a more affordable yet seemingly new option for a smaller budget. For computer hardware, that's actually quite a common theme to just rebrand older products, give them some smaller benefits like a slightly increased clock speed, and re-release them under a new name to round up the product line. The original GH5 already was over five years old when it got released, with the Mark II Panasonic can say they have a recent, modern product in their line-up.

Around here the streetprices for the GH5.2 are below €1600, I'm pretty sure the new GH6 will easily crash the €2000 barrier. I wouldn't even be surprised if the GH5.2 gets a small price reduction to €1500.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Which makes even more sense to keep a more budget friendly alternative, with the 1000 bucks saved, one can already look at some lenses....
Or stick with what you have if top-drawer video isn't a requirement.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Or stick with what you have if top-drawer video isn't a requirement.
Sure but for people who actually need to build their kit, wanting to buy into the system or are still using older equipment and slowly see the need for an upgrade, it makes sense to have something else on offer. Sure you could buy 2nd hand but for some people that's not an option.
I am not a Panasonic guy, but to my knowledge the GH series was always fairly popular with the video crowd and the GH5 has still been recommended even though it's a bit older. To be honest I don't even know if the original GH5 is being phased out right now, just checked the streetprices and it's €250-300 less than the Mark II.

I am also sure the Mark II isn't targeted at existing GH5 users, especially not after that big firmware update a few months back. But for people who are still using the GH4 (or earlier) it is an option.

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Counting down the hours until the announcements now !
Both the Olympus WOW camera and the GH6 are going to have 30mp and global shutters :coffee-30:
I remember then Panasonic Rep Carol Hartfree (at an LCE Pro Show In Southampton) telling me that the next big thing for Panasonic was going to be Global Shutter and she hinted that it was already being worked on ( about two years ago) - I think they might have had time to perfect it :)

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Counting down the hours until the announcements now !
Both the Olympus WOW camera and the GH6 are going to have 30mp and global shutters :coffee-30:
I remember then Panasonic Rep Carol Hartfree (at an LCE Pro Show In Southampton) telling me that the next big thing for Panasonic was going to be Global Shutter and she hinted that it was already being worked on ( about two years ago) - I think they might have had time to perfect it :)
That is one place the rumors are failing, miserably. I've heard 20MP, 24MP, 43MP, all stacked.

Latest threads

Top Bottom