GH5s sample images, footage and detail on new features

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lumix G Experience UK, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Lumix G Experience UK

Lumix G Experience UK Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Damien Demolder
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks Damien.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

Great forum representation! This just popped up on my Facebook feed, since I follow the Lumix page, and I came straight here to mention it. What a crazy camera announcement! 10MP to increase low-light sensitivity, 14-bit RAW, 4k/60p, and multi-aspect. I am curious about the multi-aspect. Does it do it without cropping, like the older GH cameras did?

4. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    It really is an astonishing camera. If for no other reason than just In the sense that it exists.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Although primarily video focused I can see some people using it for stills. Not just for high ISO but potentiality for DR (14bit depth gives us a big clue). 10Mp is just about enough for a decent sized print. Nice one Panasonic! Pity about the IBIS though.

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, my thinking is that the removal of IBIS detracts from its utility as a stills camera more than it does as a video camera. With the GH5's IBIS, shutter speeds of 1s or more are conceivably possible if the situation allows it. You can't do that with the GH5S anymore, and the 1-2 stops of cleaner high ISO doesn't make up for it at all. By contrast, for low light run & gun videography, people will just put a fast wide-angle prime near hyperfocal and strap their GH5S on a gimbal. Once you're focussed at around 10 ft or so, I am astonished at how much DoF even my 25mm/f0.95 has.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Agree. No Ibis is probably more an obstruction to my use of it than the 10MP. 10 meg never bothered me with the k10D (although its nice to have more these days).

8. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    Who exactly would go for a camera like this? It's at low light levels where IBIS would be most useful.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    With videography, IBIS doesn't help low light at all, since shutter speed is entirely a function of your shutter angle, and you almost always want it to be 2x your frame rate (unless you are desperate, and can afford to cheat it and go for 1.5x or 1.25x).

Pros apparently wanted the ability to totally lock down the camera for use on serious rigs. Vibrations when locked down in race cars was supposedly damaging IBIS systems, or causing wobbling because the IBIS couldn't deal with it. For other circumstances, they'll just use a serious gimbal like a DJI Ronin. Or at least a Zhiyun Crane, if they're all on a small budget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    What you typed makes complete sense to me. But the model number doesn't. The GH5s is so radically different from the GH5.

11. Lumix G Experience UK

Nov 24, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Damien Demolder
    Yes, that's the idea. It has 'spare' pixels either side of the main 4:3 picture area, so that when you switch to 16:9 you get more resolution in the length. It maintains high resolution in all formats and keeps the diagonal angle of view the same with your lens.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

It makes up for it if you are shooting anything that isn't made out of concrete, rock or earth! I can't use 1s exposures on people, scenes with vehicles, landscapes with leaves or grass, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lumix G Experience UK

Nov 24, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Damien Demolder
    While indeed there is no floating sensor stabilisation system, the camera does still provide optical stabilisation via lenses that have it, as well as a degree of electronic stabilisation - again when used with Panasonic lenses.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

Honestly, while IBIS is useful, I really feel like marketing has made a much bigger deal out of it than it would otherwise be. While everyone has their own needs, thanks to advertising, I feel that people look for that feature long before they look for other, more serious features and capabilities. It's a nice to have for me, but definitely not a dealbreaker one way or another. That multi-format without cropping, for example, is something else. The example that I like to use with IBIS is choosing between a Porsche GT3 and a Lamborghini Aventador based on the quality and ergonomics of the cupoholders. I enjoy using them, but am I really going to make such a serious decision based on that metric? Especially when there are so many ways to get around handholding a 1s shutter speed, such as using supplemental light, using physical stabilization (whether it's just leaning against a wall or using a tripod), or just straight up not shooting in situations where I'm having to do 1s exposures!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Very interesting. When I first joined this forum just over a year ago it was mainly the Olympus forum that most of the discussion.
    Panasonic seem to be gaining a lot of ground since the G85.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Telonson

Telonson Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2017
    Have to disagree.

To abuse your analogy, consider a Porsche GT3 or Avendador without traction control. It may never be an issue when driving hot dry roads of the southern California desert. But put those same cars on the cold and rainy islands in the north sea, and the lack of traction control will quickly lead to difficulty, and perhaps tears.

IBIS is far more akin to "traction control" than "cup holder". In both cases, the absolute professionals with years of training may not especially need it, but for everyone else, the majority of the car or camera owners, it will pull their fat out of the fire more often than not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Today I have seen a range of blog posts and videos, by self proclaimed "professionals" ranting about the GH5s, half of them saying how great it is, the other saying it shouldn't even exist.

Just about every one of them has their content packed full of adds and affiliate links. Not to mention all the arguments are GAS or anti GAS. Yea, this is new and awesome i must have it, or this is crap and shouldn't exist because it doesn't have the features I think it should.

Every time a new camera is released I'm reminded why i get along with so few photographers and even fewer videographers. I see far to much of what I can only assume is some kind of compensation mentality.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    They say the lack of IBIS is due to 'technical reasons'.
    Of course, that's the feature they will add to GH6S, and they will say 'we listen to customers'.
    Don't you think?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have also been the reading and watching the reviews. My take on the GH5s is that it is a locked down video camera for higher budget productions. I do have to applaud Panasonic for breaking ground with their GHx series and now this niche sister camera. This camera is a little too specialized for me, although it is possible that I will rent one in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    One technical reason that I know to be real and valid, is that IBIS can't handle the punishment dished out by some film crews.

The first season of "The Grand Tour" had 3 gh4s in each car. Rumor is during the shooting of season two they had issues trying to use the gh5, because of the vibrations given of by the cars and the driving.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.