GH5 MkII Leak:

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
But at the same time they have hinted at 3 versions of the GH6. Video, still, and a Jack of all tTades.
No, they have not. Panasonic has never said anything like this.

This rumour about three GH6 models came from a Spanish (?) site and was all over the place in late 2019 and early 2020 when it was taken for granted that 8k GH6 will be launched at Photokina 2020 (May).

It was quite logical rumour too because that was a carbon copy of panny FF lineup: entry level hybrid, and two very expensive video and stills oriented models.

I'm tempted to believe that when original GH6 development started in 2017 or so, they had plans like this but now we already know that 8k GH6 got cancelled and Panasonic went back to drawing board for more than a year because this new GH6 they officially announced yesterday is something entirely different.

No rumours about this new sensor have leaked out yet but since the GH has "H" for hybrid in it's name it is by definition a camera that will suit for both video and stills.

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
For me the most important announcement was the 25-50mm f/1.7. Not as long as I hoped but I understood the size is pretty much the same as with the 10-25mm f/1.7 which would be nice.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sure the new lens is nice but it's not in the same league as the entirely new sensor that has finally been designed for MFT.

GH6 specs reveal that it must be absolutely cutting edge because only Sony A1 can top the 10-bit 5.7k@60p which is actually required for the "superb 4k video" Panny has promised.

Math is bit complicated here but due to Bayer filter, best quality 4k should be oversampled by a 6k sensor and what we got appears to be an extremely fast 24MP sensor. Who knows what other goodies did they throw in.

The whole future of mft ecosystem looks a lot brighter if there's finally a sensor that will remain competitive for at least next couple of years. Let's hope it will be available for OMDS too.

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
That sort of performance needs metal bodies with heat dissipating properties. The GH6 is outside my path of direction. But the GH5M2 does look like a great camera even for stills.

Real Name
Henrik
Found some interesting info/claims at the website of Sweden's largest(?) online camera retailer.

https://www.scandinavianphoto.se/panasonic/lumix-dc-gh5ii-body-1051710

For those of you who don't read Swedish meatballs, it says (among other things): the improved Live MOS sensor has an AR coating that reduces both flaring and ghosting. Compared to the GH5, this new model has 25% higher dynamic range.

The DR claim was new. Was that claimed by Panasonic themselves during the launch?

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For those of you who don't read Swedish meatballs, it says (among other things): the improved Live MOS sensor has an AR coating that reduces both flaring and ghosting. Compared to the GH5, this new model has 25% higher dynamic range.

The DR claim was new. Was that claimed by Panasonic themselves during the launch?

Needles to say that the claim of 25% improvement in DR in general is insane.

I can read a couple of other languages and other camera shops just claim something on the lines of "AR coating on sensor reduces reflections when shooting against the sun etc" without giving any numeric value which is exactly what panny said during the live launch event.

Maybe it's possible to create a test setup where reflections kill the DR so totally that a mere coating will improve the situation by 25% but I doubt whether this will have any practical application in real world situations.

Panasonic Global has a link which should point to local official site where you can find specs for GH5 II and this 25% DR improvement is nowhere to be seen.
https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/lumix/g/gh5m2.html

It's quite impressive that GH II is instantly being sold everywhere and deliveries will start by the end of June but the existence of this camera did leak out only a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank

Are you sure it's not 25 units of some sort? Maybe they got the ad-copy wrong? It's possible to improve the transmission through a surface with coatings, but 25% seems like a really large, arbitrary amount.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom