GH5 MkII Leak:

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Look two posts up from yours - yes there are changes for still imagers.
I saw all of that. Again, I don't shoot many animals and birds are a once in a while thing. Most of the rest of it is video related. And even taken all together it is a firmware update, while Panasonic has guaranteed a feature upgrade to the GH5 and a whole new GH6 body to the video folks. This is as exciting as a plate of cold spaghetti.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I saw all of that. Again, I don't shoot many animals and birds are a once in a while thing. Most of the rest of it is video related. And even taken all together it is a firmware update, while Panasonic has guaranteed a feature upgrade to the GH5 and a whole new GH6 body to the video folks. This is as exciting as a plate of cold spaghetti.
Well, we will have to agree to disagree on this issue:)

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think you will see the new sensor in a stills body, but they would like to get the 3 new products out the door.

Now, what exactly is this "stills body" and why on earth would anybody want one instead of hybrid camera that's good for 10-bit 5,7K@60p?

Maybe I should clarify what this number means for stills shooters. It means endless burst of 5700*3200 = 18MP images at the rate of 60fps. And all that with continuous AF.

I there really a still shooter who would rather have a proper "stills" body that's limited to 12fps? High res video set's way much higher requirements to processor and sensor than a mere still image but stills shooters get all the benefits too.

(5700*3200 is also 5.7K resolution in 16:9. If new Venus sensor is capable of reading MFT aspect ratio 4:3 from this sensor at the same speed it will be an endless 23MP burst at 60fps)

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, me, if that means the stills body is smaller and lighter (think G85 size and weight).

Unfortunately it sounds like you are not one of those "content creators" for whom Panasonic has decided to develop all new m4/3 products. They have repeated this term ad nauseam for the last 12 months or so better believe they mean it even though it sounds like they don't know even themselves wtf a "content creator" is supposed to be but stills are quite clearly not part of it.

Whatever little GH6 information they released was about video specs, video quality and video features but since it will have an entirely new, higher resolution sensor and most powerfull Venus processor ever, it's bound to deliver superior stills IQ too.

In an interview last year they even stated that there will no be future for products like GX9 because smartphones have killed demand in low and mid price categories. It's all-high end and "content" from now on.

Maybe OMDS will design proper stills-oriented camera that absolutely sucks at video for these enthusiasts. At least the 41MP Sony MFT sensor is already in mass production so it's a good starting point for that "WOW" product they promised.

Last edited:

DAEMANO

Mu-43 Regular
Exactly. I don't care about VLog or whateverthehellitscalled, 4K video, 18MP images @ 60 FPS, none of it. I'd much rather spend $1000 less and get something geared toward stills.
Both Panasonic and Olympus have publicly stated that for M43 to stay competitive they will have to first focus on pro-sumer video, then wildlife stills second. Today's releases are all about expediency into that strategy. This is very well known. Frustration about not getting stills-first related features with today's announcement is at least puzzling, and most counter-productive given what both Panasonic & Olympus have already told us.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Both Panasonic and Olympus have publicly stated that for M43 to stay competitive they will have to first focus on pro-sumer video, then wildlife stills second. Today's releases are all about expediency into that strategy. This is very well known. Frustration about not getting stills-first related features with today's announcement is at least puzzling, and most counter-productive given what both Panasonic & Olympus have already told us.
LOL. Counter productive? Maybe look that up.

Had they said that there'd be a stills-centered GH6 released along with or shortly after the GH6 video wonder, I would've been satisfied. The fact that it wasn't even mentioned leads me to believe it never will be. There's plenty of time for them to change their minds between now and then since it's clearly not a priority. Even a nod toward that part of their customer base would be acceptable.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Had they said that there'd be a stills-centered GH6 released along with or shortly after the GH6 video wonder, I would've been satisfied. The fact that it wasn't even mentioned leads me to believe it never will be.

I'm almost certain that Panasonic has not uttered a single word about stills having any role in their m4/3 lineup after 2019.

On the contrary: since 2020 they have kept talking about m4/3 being for "content creators". It's understandable now that they have a full lineup of FF models including a high resolution stills-oriented one - which is not selling because panny = video.

Olympus/OMDS is the one who has constantly stated that m4/3 will have competitive advantage in wildlife/bird/whatever photography because the total weight of camera kit with long telephoto lenses will still beat FF even when FF bodies are starting to get as compact as MFT gear.

For all that we know new GH6 sensor might not even support 4:3 aspect ratio because all they talk about are video specs which require either 16:9 or 17:9. First thing manufacturers mention in stills camera specs is the MP rating but this time they were just rambling about 4k and 5.7k video.

Remember that rumoured 8k Sharp "MFT" sensor is already in production but it turned out to be a pure 16:9 sensor with diagonal that matches MFT image circle which means that MFT lenses are compatible. Of course you can take 33MP stills in 16:9 but it's more like a m16/9 camera then. This would even make sense because every device people use to view photos is 16:9 or even wider.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Had they said that there'd be a stills-centered GH6 released along with or shortly after the GH6 video wonder, I would've been satisfied. The fact that it wasn't even mentioned leads me to believe it never will be. There's plenty of time for them to change their minds between now and then since it's clearly not a priority. Even a nod toward that part of their customer base would be acceptable.
I have to agree with @DAEMANO that you are looking in the wrong place for encouraging signs about STILL-photography from Panasonic. The cameras most in-question here are video-centric. It's somewhat interesting to us still folks because some of the upgrades might come to still-centric cameras. But it's probably only an indicator.

Patience!! I do think that by sometime next year, there will be a G10 and THEN you can be upset if you don't like its features.

Meanwhile, at the risk of driving people into nervous breakdowns and enraged rants, I have to point out that Tony ("Sony") Northrup LIKES the upgrade to the GH5.2 a lot. This from a guy whom we have all accused of hating m43 and who abandoned the GH5 a few years ago because of technical shortcomings. So they must have done something right with this update. Yes, it is ALL about video, but again, wait till we see what their still cameras will be doing fairly soon before getting too bothered. IMHO.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I'm almost certain that Panasonic has not uttered a single word about stills having any role in their m4/3 lineup after 2019.

On the contrary: since 2020 they have kept talking about m4/3 being for "content creators". It's understandable now that they have a full lineup of FF models including a high resolution stills-oriented one - which is not selling because panny = video.

Olympus/OMDS is the one who has constantly stated that m4/3 will have competitive advantage in wildlife/bird/whatever photography because the total weight of camera kit with long telephoto lenses will still beat FF even when FF bodies are starting to get as compact as MFT gear.

For all that we know new GH6 sensor might not even support 4:3 aspect ratio because all they talk about are video specs which require either 16:9 or 17:9. First thing manufacturers mention in stills camera specs is the MP rating but this time they were just rambling about 4k and 5.7k video.

Remember that rumoured 8k Sharp "MFT" sensor is already in production but it turned out to be a pure 16:9 sensor with diagonal that matches MFT image circle which means that MFT lenses are compatible. Of course you can take 33MP stills in 16:9 but it's more like a m16/9 camera then. This would even make sense because every device people use to view photos is 16:9 or even wider.
But at the same time they have hinted at 3 versions of the GH6. Video, still, and a Jack of all tTades. I had hoped they'd mention this as a goal, then I could patiently wait.

It strikes me that there's no reason to R&D a new stills camera if they followed this plan. Take the new GH6 (assuming an upgraded 4/3 sensor), dump the super video features, add in some of the things we already have in the G9 like Sensor Shift HR, and what sounds like the S5's updated focus, etc., and all would be well.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
But at the same time they have hinted at 3 versions of the GH6. Video, still, and a Jack of all tTades. I had hoped they'd mention this as a goal, then I could patiently wait.

It strikes me that there's no reason to R&D a new stills camera if they followed this plan. Take the new GH6 (assuming an upgraded 4/3 sensor), dump the super video features, add in some of the things we already have in the G9 like Sensor Shift HR, and what sounds like the S5's updated focus, etc., and all would be well.
I agree that that sounds like a likely path for them. They might even call the result a G10!

John M Flores

Super Moderator
This pandemic has turned me into a content creator. I like a lot of little things about the GH5 ii - improved video, AF, brighter screen. higher capacity battery, live streaming capabilities. USB-C. etc. Looks like a solid upgrade.

Last edited:

DAEMANO

Mu-43 Regular
This pandemic has turned me into a content creator. I like a lot of little things about the GH5 ii - improved video, AF, brighter screen. higher capacity battery, live streamingcapabilities. USB-C. etc. Looks like a solid upgrade.
The Livestreaming and USB-C stuff is going to be major. Twitch, Facebook & Youtube streaming are where so much of the growth are now for internet content creators. Virtually no editing, mostly unscripted, and direct payments to creators make streaming very attractive. Most streamers I see use mobile phones with crappy clip on lenses because they have almost no way to get better cameras directly connected to 4g or 5g while they're out and about. Being able to stream using a real ILC tethered to a phone opens up so much creative potential and improved quality, I can see this taking off for the bigger IRL stream channels, Panasonic just has to show them the way.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom