GH5 MkII Leak:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Everyone keeps talking about an upgraded GH5/ Panasonic's announcement is for the upgraded 'GH Line'. I think it'll be a GH6 with the variants previously discussed. Photo centric, video centric, and an all purpose.
I seem to remember this is what Panasonic hinted at after the G9 release when it did not sell as well as expected.
And looking at how the FF line up to it looks like they may do as you say, but I must say I do not really like the idea of paying to unlock features like games. But it seems to work for them.
The biggest upgrade they could do for would be propper service in australia includjng lens repair, that way I would upgrade my G85

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Live broadcast will start in 80 minutes and title does talk about new GH cameras in plural. Latest rumour was that GH5 II will be launched but GH6 is just a development announcement.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
48MP sensor; 16K video!

Small typo here. 16k video needs of course 132,7MP so this must be the global shutter quad native-ISO organic (and vegan) sensor panny is just about launch in their new budget MFT lineup.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes! First pic of GH6 :laugh1:

1621952210470.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I now wonder if the G9 is going to get live composite. Also 5.7K full tilt video is going to be pretty cool. Gh6 is going to be $2500. Gh5II - $1700 (pretty afforable). New Sensor.

Real Name
Henrik
Real Name
Phill
DP Review also suggests the new GH5 Mark II will further round up Panasonics line-up as a more budget friendly alternative to the upcoming GH6. That's what I also expected.

Here is a video review by Jordan Drake and Chris Niccols already:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
G9 Firmware Version 2.4 June 8th
1. Improved AF performance
- It can detect the eyes / face at a 2x faster recognition cycle speed and human / animal at a 5x faster recognition cycle speed. These subjects can be detected even they appear in approximately half the size. *Comparison between before and after updating the firmware.
- Tracking and recognition performance of AF have been improved with an addition of head recognition.
- Human/Animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area].

2. Added video functions
- [Red REC Frame Indicator] function has been added.
- It is possible to play back vertical videos vertically.
- Users can choose to add or not to add camera orientation information in [Vertical Position Info (Video)] menu to prevent unintended image rotation in playback.

3. Other added functions
- [Frame Maker] function has been added.
- [Power Save Mode] can be selectable while the camera is powered with an AC adaptor (DMW-AC10, sold separately).
- The camera can be recognized when it is connected to the PC via the USB power supply port.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This part of DPR review did catch my eye:

"Panasonic has made clear that the range-topping model will shoot 4K at up to 120p and 10-bit 4:2:2 footage at up to 60p, with a 5.7K/60p capture option, but we don't have any further detail, beyond the fact it will cost around $2500 at launch"

First part isn't actually that exciting. Even original GH5 was able to shooe 10-bit 4:2:2 @60p over HDMI but 5,7K@60p is something totally new.

5.7K video is interesting because if it's really 16:9, that requires at least 24MP sensor. No such thing is known to exist in MFT format.

Of course they could just use the Sony 8K MFT sensor that has been in mass production since last summer and just oversample it to get both 4K@60p and 5,7K@60p

Panasonic already has weird 5.9K recording in their FF models because that's the max you can get out of 24MP sensor but 5,7K might be simply the largest resolution they can read out of Sony 8K sensor at 60p

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
G9 update will get S5 focus update.......removes pulsing in video shooting. Big deal for those who shoot video with the G9.
More video. Not only aren't they announcing an upgraded stills camera, they're improving video features on the one they have.

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A

More video. Not only aren't they announcing an upgraded stills camera, they're improving video features on the one they have.
Improves focus in stills also, . Face detection for humans and animals. Much faster performance.

1. Improved AF performance
- It can detect the eyes / face at a 2x faster recognition cycle speed and human / animal at a 5x faster recognition cycle speed. These subjects can be detected even they appear in approximately half the size. *Comparison between before and after updating the firmware.
- Tracking and recognition performance of AF have been improved with an addition of head recognition.
- Human/Animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area].

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Fantastic upgrades for those who shoot those subjects. I'm looking for real upgrades like an improved sensor. As I said in the other thread, this is simply throwing a bone to the G9 shooters. They didn't even mention an improved stills body nor a stills-centered GH6 version. Just...nothing.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think you will see the new sensor in a stills body, but they would like to get the 3 new products out the door. My bet is in 2022 you will see the G10. I think lots of folks will find the upgrade in focusing more than "just a bone". Most birders shoot thousands of images a year and any increase in focusing is key, as it is for all types of sports. One thing is, M43 at the Panasonic House is not dead, sick, or dying...IMHO

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Fantastic upgrades for those who shoot those subjects. I'm looking for real upgrades like an improved sensor. As I said in the other thread, this is simply throwing a bone to the G9 shooters. They didn't even mention an improved stills body nor a stills-centered GH6 version. Just...nothing.
Look two posts up from yours - yes there are changes for still imagers.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom