GH5 MkII Leak:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I'm curious as to what you think the required upgrades are for the G9?
I'm not the original poster, but if they could manage to shrink it by 10%, with all the same buttons and knobs, and maybe add HHHR, I'd have a very hard time resisting it. As my eyes get older, I must say, I really love the massive viewfinder and eye-cup on the G9. It's a feature that keeps me coming back to it. I can just do more pushups to handle the extra weight, I suppose. :D

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm not the original poster, but if they could manage to shrink it by 10%, with all the same buttons and knobs, and maybe add HHHR, I'd have a very hard time resisting it. As my eyes get older, I must say, I really love the massive viewfinder and eye-cup on the G9. It's a feature that keeps me coming back to it. I can just do more pushups to handle the extra weight, I suppose. :D
Here's the thing though. Let's say they do just that. And then charge say another 500 bucks for it. Can you imagine the squeals and howls of anguish and despair that would be forthcoming? m4/3 would once again be dead or dying, for the 9,875th time, we'd once again have to endure the tales of woe due to all previous cameras failing to proceed after it became available, and listen to the monotonous dialogue over and over again, as to how every other format on the planet is smaller, lighter and cheaper, and had exponentially better dynamic range. I'm happy with the status quo. I bought my G9 at release, it's just as fast, snappy, ergonomic, brilliant, and plain fun to use as the very first day I bought it. I think I'd have to abandon all photography forums should that happen. And be happier and better off for it.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have my E-M5 Mk III so I'm using that when I want a smaller kit. So IF I was in charge I just would like a newer sensor, HHHR would be nice, and maybe up the spec with USB-C :)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Here's the thing though. Let's say they do just that. And then charge say another 500 bucks for it.
$500 for those small improvements? You're right - that would not fly. But say $200-250, perhaps? I am with what others have said about upgrades that would be nice, EXACTLY in line with what @Darmok N Jalad said about 10% less size and maybe HHHR. Pany has a good chance here to steal A LOT of business from Oly right now, I think. For example, I just bought an E-M1.3 2 days ago. I would probably have bought a G9.2 with the slight improvements we're talking about. And if it had say a somewhat more MP sensor, upgraded EVF maybe, I might have even sprung for the $500.

swifty

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
The teaser photo shows the camera back with the top dial to the EVF’s left having a red ring like the GH5s.
Some of you may have noticed that Sony quietly updated their A7RIV and A7RIII with a few small parts change recently, likely due to either they’ve used up older parts and/or supply chain shortages.
What’s the bet Panasonic had to consolidate some parts with the GH5S so had to have a name change to reflect the fact it isn’t exactly the same as the GH5.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Streaming?

Streaming Protocol RTMP / RTMPS
Streaming quality NTSC (59.94Hz): [FHD] 1920x1080: 59.94p, 16Mbps / 8Mbps (H.264) 29.97p, 6Mbps / 3Mbps (H.264)
NTSC (59.94Hz): [HD] 1280x720: 59.94p, 6Mbps (H.264) 29.97p, 4Mbps (H.264) PAL (50.00Hz): [FHD] 1920x1080: 50.00p, 16Mbps / 8Mbps (H.264) 25.00p, 6Mbps / 3Mbps (H.264) PAL (50.00Hz): [HD] 1280x720: 50.00p, 6Mbps (H.264) 25.00p, 4Mbps (H.264)

If this is the same direct live stream over WiFi which Panasonic already developed for their pro camcorders lasts year, it would be a huge thing for a certain user group and also something nobody else is able to offer currently.

Namely the group called "content creators" about whom Panasonic Imaging CEO has been talking for more than a year now.

"We don't typically cover camcorder launches, but a trio of new models from Panasonic caught our attention due to one interesting feature: the ability to live stream directly to video platforms such as YouTube, Facebook or other services using RTMP (Real-time Messaging Protocol).

Live streaming to these websites is usually done using RTMP by connecting a camera to a computer running software such as OBS Studio, or a dedicated hardware device like the SlingStudio, to stream to RTMP-compatible services.

In contrast, Panasonic's new HC-X1500, HC-X2000 and AC-CX10 camcorders don't require any additional software or hardware for live HD streaming. Once connected to a Wi-Fi network, they can connect directly to YouTube, Facebook, or any other service that supports live streaming using RTMP."

Leaked GH5 II specs don't say anything about Ethernet port so RTMP / RTMPS streaming makes sense only if it's available over WiFi and this would make live streaming just as easy as with smartphones but with ILC IQ. Just the cost of high quality HDMI to MP4 converter would justify $200 price increase compared to GH5 even if nothing else changes.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/67074...ers-with-built-in-live-streaming-capabilities

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I started a new thread so more folks can see it.

Lens-wise, a PL10-100 2.8-X.X would be fun, but I don't need anything. It'd be nice to cover from 10-400 with 2 lenses.

DAEMANO

Mu-43 Regular
If this is the same direct live stream over WiFi which Panasonic already developed for their pro camcorders lasts year, it would be a huge thing for a certain user group and also something nobody else is able to offer currently.

Namely the group called "content creators" about whom Panasonic Imaging CEO has been talking for more than a year now.

"We don't typically cover camcorder launches, but a trio of new models from Panasonic caught our attention due to one interesting feature: the ability to live stream directly to video platforms such as YouTube, Facebook or other services using RTMP (Real-time Messaging Protocol).

Live streaming to these websites is usually done using RTMP by connecting a camera to a computer running software such as OBS Studio, or a dedicated hardware device like the SlingStudio, to stream to RTMP-compatible services.

In contrast, Panasonic's new HC-X1500, HC-X2000 and AC-CX10 camcorders don't require any additional software or hardware for live HD streaming. Once connected to a Wi-Fi network, they can connect directly to YouTube, Facebook, or any other service that supports live streaming using RTMP."

Leaked GH5 II specs don't say anything about Ethernet port so RTMP / RTMPS streaming makes sense only if it's available over WiFi and this would make live streaming just as easy as with smartphones but with ILC IQ. Just the cost of high quality HDMI to MP4 converter would justify $200 price increase compared to GH5 even if nothing else changes.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/67074...ers-with-built-in-live-streaming-capabilities
IMO, you're spot on the right track here. Panasonic's language suggests they're focused on specific use cases in this emerging pro-sumer/pro field. If they can nail the perfect mid-high range streaming GH5.2 that possibly has the background pulsing worked out (not required though TBH), I can see many video streamers coming back to Panasonic (FF really doesn't offer them anything but flex factor.) Twitch, Facebook streaming and YouTube streaming are the future of Television, Panasonic may be ahead of the game here.

A 25-60mm F1.7 would be more reasonable to expect.
If they are trying to mimic the sigma lenses to a point the 25-60mm doesnt give enough telephoto range. Make a high quality lens that would be good for action shooters. Sigma does 18-35 paired with a 50-100mm. Smaller ranges but bigger gap in the middle. Guessing that event and action photographers would rather have a 10-25 and 40-100 combo than a 10-60 combo.

DAEMANO

Mu-43 Regular
If they are trying to mimic the sigma lenses to a point the 25-60mm doesnt give enough telephoto range. Make a high quality lens that would be good for action shooters. Sigma does 18-35 paired with a 50-100mm. Smaller ranges but bigger gap in the middle. Guessing that event and action photographers would rather have a 10-25 and 40-100 combo than a 10-60 combo.
The 10-25mm f/1.7 and whatever lens Panasonic intends to follow it up with are conceived as video-centric lenses first (common FOVs for video, de-clicked apertures, non-stabilized.) In Panasonic's photography range their Lumix 35-100 f/2.8 ii X lens fulfills your 40-100 vision, unless you were thinking of faster glass (which would increase the size and weight to APS-C size) and would compete directly with the aforementioned Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8 ii.

The 10-25mm f/1.7 and whatever lens Panasonic intends to follow it up with are conceived as video-centric lenses first (common FOVs for video, de-clicked apertures, non-stabilized.) In Panasonic's photography range their Lumix 35-100 f/2.8 ii X lens fulfills your 40-100 vision, unless you were thinking of faster glass (which would increase the size and weight to APS-C size) and would compete directly with the aforementioned Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8 ii.
Yeah I want a 35-80mm f1.7 at least. Honestly I would already have the 4/3rds Olympus 35-100mm f2 if it focused worth a darn on a g9 or a speedboosted sigma 50-100mm. Size and weight wouldn't be much of an issue with me. I mean if someone is already carrying around the 10-25 size and weight is not an issue. 35-100f2.8 is too slow especially on m43 for indoor weddings and sporting events. Im guessing both videographers and photographers would sacrifice the range between 26-35ish to have more on the tele end.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Oh Right. So they're going to build us a 5-1467mm f/0.95 zoom with 241 Apo elements and an Unobtanium transmission-boosting coating to allow us to see -37 EV objects at 2.7 light years distance.

But weathersealing the PL15 is too hard , too much to ask for!!!!!!!!!????????

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Yeah I want a 35-80mm f1.7 at least. Honestly I would already have the 4/3rds Olympus 35-100mm f2 if it focused worth a darn on a g9 or a speedboosted sigma 50-100mm. Size and weight wouldn't be much of an issue with me. I mean if someone is already carrying around the 10-25 size and weight is not an issue. 35-100f2.8 is too slow especially on m43 for indoor weddings and sporting events. Im guessing both videographers and photographers would sacrifice the range between 26-35ish to have more on the tele end.
Would be weird if they had 10-15mm and 35-xx since the manufacturers almost never leave gaps like that. So I'm 99.9% sure it will start from 25mm and I hope it will end at 75mm (at least). If it indeed turns out to be a 25-75mm f/1.7 I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

100mm would be nice but it would be way too big. Even the 75mm might be "a bit too much".

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
35-100f2.8 is too slow especially on m43 for indoor weddings and sporting events.
Can't comment on indoor sports since I haven't been to one in decades. But I have had no problems with indoor weddings, and even concerts, using slower apertures.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Oh Right. So they're going to build us a 5-1467mm f/0.95 zoom with 241 Apo elements and an Unobtanium transmission-boosting coating to allow us to see -37 EV objects at 2.7 light years distance.

But weathersealing the PL15 is too hard , too much to ask for!!!!!!!!!????????
Stop exaggerating. It's 5-1465mm.

Jeez....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom