GH5 MkII Leak:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Makes sense to start using the Mark i, Mark II, etc...designation instead of incrementing numbers all the time.

But I do wonder if this is the GH6?

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
I doubt this is the GH6.

I think this is Panasonic prepping to hedge its bets with a 4K-oriented GH5II body alongside a pricey but 8K GH6 while maintaining as much commonality as they can and eliminating the few advantages the G9 had over the GH5 for video (there were a few bits the G9 does better just from being newer).

So GH5II is a generational update to the GH5 to bring it up to current 4K spec without too much work, while the GH6 extends the line with 8K and (probably) 4K120 capability.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So GH5II is a generational update to the GH5 to bring it up to current 4K spec without too much work, while the GH6 extends the line with 8K and (probably) 4K120 capability.

According to this Nokishita rumour GH5 II is still using the same sensor as GH5/G9 and panny has already pretty much squeezed out what this old 20MP Sony sensor can offer in terms of raw IQ. Same is of course true for OMDS as well.

Panny does not even need better 4k specs from GH5 II because they have released two 4k-videocentric models: GH5S and BGH1 which use a better 4k dual-ISO sensor. Anyone who is really interested in MFT video will choose either one anyway.

What they could offer in GH5 II is a hybrid model with improved IBIS, hugely improved AF and some connectivity options like USB C-power but not any IQ improvement worth mentioning unless they did throw in AF denoise or such. Since panny has developed all this for BGH-1 (save for IBIS improvement) it's just a copy-paste exercise and presto! GH5 sales might still drag on for a couple of more years.

Last edited:

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
I doubt this is the GH6.

I think this is Panasonic prepping to hedge its bets with a 4K-oriented GH5II body alongside a pricey but 8K GH6 while maintaining as much commonality as they can and eliminating the few advantages the G9 had over the GH5 for video (there were a few bits the G9 does better just from being newer).

If so, they would be smart to release some official statements on the GH6 before long. All this ruckus and then a "half-arsed" upgrade. Not saying its an un-worthy upgrade, I dont do video so I have no bone in this as such, nor the knowledge to have any valid opionion either.

They have slimmed the weight by about 10% though.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
It must have something significant over the current GH5 or they need to announce something else at the same time. It might have a 20mp different sensor with PDAF or Global Shutter, but somehow I don't think so. On the other hand, I can't imagine that they believe this will sell over the much cheaper GH5 mkI if it is not in any way better.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
On the other hand, I can't imagine that they believe this will sell over the much cheaper GH5 mkI if it is not in any way better.

Even if Panny uses the same old sensor in GH5 II they could still make it a *lot* better in practically every other area than pure IQ. Especially low light IQ.

Then again, I don't believe there's a huge customer base who is willing to pay over $1700€ for 2016 era MFT IQ just because it now comes with all the bells and whistles FF bodies in the same price range offer.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
There is now a full spec list posted. I can‘t find a single thing that‘s different to the current GH5 (including weight). Can someone point me to a difference?

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
There is now a full spec list posted. I can‘t find a single thing that‘s different to the current GH5 (including weight). Can someone point me to a difference?
Streaming?

Streaming Protocol RTMP / RTMPS
Streaming quality NTSC (59.94Hz): [FHD] 1920x1080: 59.94p, 16Mbps / 8Mbps (H.264) 29.97p, 6Mbps / 3Mbps (H.264)
NTSC (59.94Hz): [HD] 1280x720: 59.94p, 6Mbps (H.264) 29.97p, 4Mbps (H.264) PAL (50.00Hz): [FHD] 1920x1080: 50.00p, 16Mbps / 8Mbps (H.264) 25.00p, 6Mbps / 3Mbps (H.264) PAL (50.00Hz): [HD] 1280x720: 50.00p, 6Mbps (H.264) 25.00p, 4Mbps (H.264)

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think the GH5 could already do this, but I‘m not sure. It‘s certainly not something that couldn‘t have been done with the existing hardware.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran

According to leaked specs it looks like the EVF is now a better 120Hz version and battery has slightly more capacity but there are a lot of potential improvements which don't show up in these specs.

As already said, panny could have made huge improvements in IBIS which was a really outdated 3 stop version in GH5 and expecially AF because they already implemented the entirely new "S5" AF in latest MFT model BGH1.

If they use the old sensor, I don't believe it's possible to squeeze 4k60p full sensor width video out of it but you never know. This is something that BGH1 can do but almost all low cost FF models are forced to APS-C crop which doesn't utilize that much more sensor area than m4/3

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
How about 10-bit video? Did the old one have that?
Yes, it did.

If they use the old sensor, I don't believe it's possible to squeeze 4k60p full sensor width video out of it but you never know.
The current GH5 also already uses the full sensor width in 4k60 as far as I know. I might be wrong but I did a quick google and this seems to be the case.

Also the video IBIS with Dual IS in the GH5 is still better than most current FF cameras I believe. The GH5 is a fantastic camera and still surprisingly competitive, but rereleasing it with roughly the same specs (I really cannot find anything that would make me pay even 200€ more for the new model) is not a good showing and worries me. If Panasonic treats their MFT flagship like this any hopes for a decent GX series cameras are pretty much dead.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Unless the next GX comes in 2022 H2. But who wants to wait that long?
I actually might. I don't really feel the necessity to upgrade from my GX8 that much. I would like some of the more modern features, but I don't want the bigger form factor that goes with that. Obviously if I don't want a G9 because it's bigger, I also don't want APS-C or even FF. Right now my options are:

Upgrade to EM1mkIII. Go up only slightly in size but gain significantly better IBIS, significantly better AF and HHHR.

Upgrade go Em5mkIII. Go down in size and also lose some ergonomic advantages. Gain normal Hi-Res, significantly better AF and IBIS.

Both of these options are Olympus and I generally prefer Panasonic and most of my lenses are Panasonic which is important because of WR. Also I'm still in wait and see mode on Olympus, although cautiously optimistic.

Last option and the one I'm most likely to take. Upgrade my UW housing to use my GX8 as well (currently still using an old EM5mk1). With that, the budget is gone and I can calmly look from the sidelines. I would prefer to first upgrade my camera body before upgrading the housing though...

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I actually might. I don't really feel the necessity to upgrade from my GX8 that much. I would like some of the more modern features, but I don't want the bigger form factor that goes with that. Obviously if I don't want a G9 because it's bigger, I also don't want APS-C or even FF. Right now my options are:

Upgrade to EM1mkIII. Go up only slightly in size but gain significantly better IBIS, significantly better AF and HHHR.

Upgrade go Em5mkIII. Go down in size and also lose some ergonomic advantages. Gain normal Hi-Res, significantly better AF and IBIS.

Both of these options are Olympus and I generally prefer Panasonic and most of my lenses are Panasonic which is important because of WR. Also I'm still in wait and see mode on Olympus, although cautiously optimistic.

Last option and the one I'm most likely to take. Upgrade my UW housing to use my GX8 as well (currently still using an old EM5mk1). With that, the budget is gone and I can calmly look from the sidelines. I would prefer to first upgrade my camera body before upgrading the housing though...
I understand you well. In fact I'd be willing to wait for the next E-M5 even 4-5 years IF it was 100% certain it will come. The E-M5 size is perfect for me and I'm not willing to even think about other models/alternatives at this point.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
With the G9, GH5ii, and rumored GH6, Lumix is slicing a very small market into very small slices. At this point the GH6 should adopt the BGH1 box form factor and make it the top-level video-centric camera, with the G9 the top stills-centric camera, and the GH5 the top hybrid.

Real Name
Mike Peters
Be patient there will be announcements for more gear, Panasonic has not forgotten that we are here.

The GH5-MII brings the specs of an existing camera more in line with what's on some of the newer cameras, with upgraded video codecs, a much better evf and auto focus systems from the S cameras. If you've ever looked through the evf of an S1, you'll be amazed at the view. That alone is worth an upgrade. They made a good camera better with worthwhile tweaks. BTW, I've been using the higher spec batteries in my G9's for a few months, and they last about twice as long as the BLF-19.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom